View Poll Results: Would you buy an "Old School Carbon" boat?
I would buy a carbon lightweight Old School boat
40
61.54%
Nope..Glass and steps for me
5
7.69%
Nope...Carbon and steps for me
10
15.38%
Nope...Glass and Old School for me
10
15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree0Likes

Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Reply
Old 06-30-2005, 09:03 PM
  #11
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Hydrocruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,759
Arrow Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicdriver
No steps... That's Sonic's opinion as well.
Is it a true 24 degree Old School Cigarette like boat?
Hydrocruiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:31 PM
  #12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Florida
My Boats: 1985 Cigarette 28SS, 2003 Formula 260 SS
Posts: 567
Default Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Yes to the Sonic question, I have riden in one off Miami and it is a nice, well built boat. My question is is hull design everything or does weight have something to do with with ride quality too? I know weight does nothing but bring down top speed but I have always firmly believed offshore powerboats were designed to go fast in rough water in a straight line and not turn like a Porsche. In other words would a 38' 24deg. 7000 lb. boat have the same ride as the same 9000 lb. boat.....in 4 to 6 footers?
Dangerous Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:47 PM
  #13
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Hydrocruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,759
Arrow Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Yes to the Sonic question, I have riden in one off Miami and it is a nice, well built boat. My question is is hull design everything or does weight have something to do with with ride quality too? I know weight does nothing but bring down top speed but I have always firmly believed offshore powerboats were designed to go fast in rough water in a straight line and not turn like a Porsche. In other words would a 38' 24deg. 7000 lb. boat have the same ride as the same 9000 lb. boat.....in 4 to 6 footers?
That's a great question and I think the answer is if you were to go up.. say with a 26 degree deadrise.. like the Old School Apache's the point of entry would knfe the waves flat.

If I manufactured boats this is what I would be having fun with. Old School looks and designs with modern light weight rock-solid composits. The boat would have to have excellent balance as well.

Much of this could be done on a cad-cam...the boat would feel more responsive and alive but still be a high tech wave crusher.

That 50' Cougar that weighs 10,000 lbs slices 'em.
Hydrocruiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 PM
  #14
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Florida
My Boats: 1985 Cigarette 28SS, 2003 Formula 260 SS
Posts: 567
Default Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Remember Don's Magnum with the 7' beam and 28 deg. hull known as the banana boat and also refered to as satans chariot? If you made it 8'6" beam it would probably be more stable but your adding a lot of wetted surface and "displacing" a lot of heavy water with that deep of a hull. If you made it light enough and fast enough, it would take chine walking to a whole new level, I think. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just playing devils advocate. Did you know Banana is planning on building boats again? The old 24' and 28' Cigarette designs but with newer technology and materials. Theres some stuff in the Banana owners forum about it.
Dangerous Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:17 PM
  #15
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Hydrocruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,759
Arrow Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Remember Don's Magnum with the 7' beam and 28 deg. hull known as the banana boat and also refered to as satans chariot? If you made it 8'6" beam it would probably be more stable but your adding a lot of wetted surface and "displacing" a lot of heavy water with that deep of a hull. If you made it light enough and fast enough, it would take chine walking to a whole new level, I think. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just playing devils advocate. Did you know Banana is planning on building boats again? The old 24' and 28' Cigarette designs but with newer technology and materials. Theres some stuff in the Banana owners forum about it.
Would need to build a prototype...if it's light and deep it might werk...try it out and tweek from there..
Hydrocruiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:13 PM
  #16
Registered
 
Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,248
Default Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Just did and love every minute of it.

1998 SBI f-2 World Champion
1999 straight bottom Carbon Fiber Lip Ship Cig. With 2005 brand new interior, Paint, and windscreen.

Only runs 80 but I will take it,
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?-500549450106_0_alb%5B2%5D.jpg   Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?-613129450106_0_alb%5B1%5D.jpg   Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?-700549450106_0_alb%5B1%5D.jpg  


Last edited by Wild; 06-30-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Wild is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:15 PM
  #17
Registered
 
Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,248
Default Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

few more

Reliable 550 hp, Safe, light and fast enough for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?-mvc-912s.jpg   Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?-scoops-2.jpg   Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?-scoops.jpg  

Wild is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:53 PM
  #18
Registered
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Abita Springs, La.
My Boats: 79 Larry Smith Scarab 'Kaama'
Posts: 511
Default Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I'll tell ya what...everybody likes speed but only second to speed we like Old School....If Don were here I would have the ally I need to push this demand into the showroom.

A solid 38'er ....24 degree deadrise....you know the look...you know the style....8,000 lbs...T-600 Hp engines...
97 MPH....nice seating in the cabin....Do it with light weight composites not steps is all...make it solid as a brick chithouse...

...it WILL sell!!

That's where the R & D bucks need to be spent... on new hull materials...
My boat is 38 foot, 24 degree deadrise, 8,000 lbs, 600HP engines, 97 MPH, No cabin or steps. Was actively raced for about 6 years, with no hint of 'giving up'

Hi-tech Kevlar 49 with epoxy resin, vacuum bagged, carbon fiber reinforcements. Flat deck traditional offshore raceboat.







......................and was built in 1979 by Larry Smith of Team Scarab.

Bulldog aka Ronnie
Bulldog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:02 AM
  #19
Registered
 
bouyhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Apache Jct. AZ
My Boats: 24' Pantera
Posts: 5,646
Default Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Give me a light but strong layup, 24 degree, old school flat deck design, no steps, no pads, no BS. Follow it up with moderate power (600's or there about),
Drives WITH Tranny's ( I loved the TRS I had - great around the docks)

I mean, as long as we're dreaming...
bouyhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:42 AM
  #20
Charter Mod
Charter Member
 
BLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: E Dock
My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition
Posts: 6,551
Default Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I'll tell ya what...everybody likes speed but only second to speed we like Old School....If Don were here I would have the ally I need to push this demand into the showroom.

A solid 38'er ....24 degree deadrise....you know the look...you know the style....8,000 lbs...T-600 Hp engines...
97 MPH....nice seating in the cabin....Do it with light weight composites not steps is all...make it solid as a brick chithouse...

...it WILL sell!!

That's where the R & D bucks need to be spent... on new hull materials...
(Sigh)

Slooow down there Hydro. First of all, Don is NOT here. If he was, I seriously doubt he would still be building the same stuff he was back then, or boats at all for that matter. He would have evolved just like everyone else is trying to do. Remember, he was an innovator.

Is this your first time on Offshoreonly.com? What the hell do you think Fountain, Outerlimits, MTI, Skater, etc spend their money on? Answer: Hull design and materials. Have you missed all of the world record attempts that have been going on in the past year or two?

Steps are a poor mans invention for speed? Cats have been running steps for a LONG time. Along with seaplanes and a host of other marine transportation. I would love to hear what Mike Fiore, Randy Scism, and Reggie Fountains reply to that would be.

Your answer is weight reduction? Lets build a 1,000lb raceboat that runs 150mph. If we hit a ripple were toast but hey, we're cutting edge man.

One of the answers is efficiency, or less drag. This is what steps provide IF done correctly. This is not to say that straight bottom boats can't be fast, they just can't be AS fast. Is not a slam at all because I've had them both, it's a fact. The 39 Dragon supposedly ran 100 with 525's and a straight bottom. The 39 Outerlimits runs comfortably in the 100's with the same power.

P.S. You should go read the "Skater Vee bottom" thread. You might learn something.

Last edited by TwinStepGun; 07-01-2005 at 09:46 AM.
BLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ChiToWn TapouT
Scarab
77
10-29-2016 09:17 AM
bcschoe
General Boating Discussion
5
04-23-2007 06:29 PM
mikesufka
General Boating Discussion
8
12-26-2002 12:23 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.