Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat? >

Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Notices
View Poll Results: Would you buy an "Old School Carbon" boat?
I would buy a carbon lightweight Old School boat
61.54%
Nope..Glass and steps for me
7.69%
Nope...Carbon and steps for me
15.38%
Nope...Glass and Old School for me
15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Old 07-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Clayton at Kustom Colors did the paint on this boat and it is AWESOME.
Attached Thumbnails Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?-dsc06083.jpg   Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?-dsc06087.jpg   Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?-dsc06088.jpg  

Old 07-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I have talked to several guys from the factory and I here that JUST the carbon fiber was close to $200K.

If that is true then this boat would not be a good value for the dollar.

Check out this 40 with triple 600's that we ran with in Jacksonville. They are in the upper 80's!

One VERY sweet ride.
If the "industry" were to go to carbon and composites as a whole the price would greatly come down.

Radical hull designs are cheap in terms of $$/mph but costly in terms of sacrificing that Old School "look and feel" and then the edge you loose in turns.

You have to concede when you buy a stepped hull boat you have a straight-line boat. Some companies's design are more radical than others.

I hope the industry puts more efforts into lighter hulls and ditches steps..a pad maybe...but New Old School for me
Old 07-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Clayton at Kustom Colors did the paint on this boat and it is AWESOME.

Wonderful paint job...interesting that Baja is paving the way.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can pop your 'old-school' hull from Space Shuttle composites, possibly making up for weight in 'adverse' conditions with some sort of dynamic, on-the-fly ballast system, . . . but that VERY SAME hull will be faster with steps. . . .
Some 'old-schoolers' will be happy to get 90mph from their 600's. The rest will want the 100mph from the same power with steps.

Just simple hydrodynamics . . . wetted surface is a b:tch . . .

Last edited by rouxsterre; 07-01-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevlar and carbon are not all that new but still very costly. Look what OL gets for their boats. Epoxy has played a large part is strength and weight loss but you gota pay. same with the hy tech core materials. I remember race scraabs in the late 70s made with kevlar49.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
You can pop your 'old-school' hull from Space Shuttle composites, possibly making up for weight in 'adverse' conditions with some sort of dynamic, on-the-fly ballast system, . . . but that VERY SAME hull will be faster with steps. . . .
Some 'old-schoolers' will be happy to get 90mph from their 600's. The rest will want the 100mph from the same power with steps.

Just simple hydrodynamics . . . wetted surface is a b:tch . . .
That would be exactly how to do it too....extremely light with an on the fly ballast system. Because you need weight when the going gets rough.

Now how about an "on the fly" system to modify the hull for less wetted surface as well to get that extra 10 mph??
Old 07-02-2005, 10:19 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Personally I would like to see an old school and a step bottom hull match up on a course of 2-3 footers with a 38-40' boat. Use the same type hull construction and c/g's trying to keep the main difference being in the steps. The old school would have no pads and would have to be dialed in to where the bottom develop it's own lift, as they should. I think it would be interesting and enlightening
Old 07-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bob
Personally I would like to see an old school and a step bottom hull match up on a course of 2-3 footers with a 38-40' boat. Use the same type hull construction and c/g's trying to keep the main difference being in the steps. The old school would have no pads and would have to be dialed in to where the bottom develop it's own lift, as they should. I think it would be interesting and enlightening
I agree.

I would not like to see anything actually changed or removed from the current industry line-up.

Just add a classic Old School Boat like the 38' Cigarette TG done up in epoxy and or carbon with an Old School Bottom and a Pair of T-600 HP engines. It should give 90's and I would be very content. Install a ballast to add weight when needed.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:24 AM
Registered

Now how about an "on the fly" system to modify the hull for less wetted surface as well to get that extra 10 mph?? [/QUOTE]

I think they call that a "Hydrofoil"
Old 07-03-2005, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
In some industries customers dictate what is manufactured.....who blew the whistle anyways and said stop producing Old School anyways?
Sounds like you and I are on the same page.

The next thing to note are the graphics. I don't want a boat that it looks like someone "spewed" the paint on. I like simple stripes, not TOO many colors, checkers are cool, nice fades...

I think the design (structural) and the paint of the mid '80's is where I'm at - some of the nicest looking boats made IMHO.

Quick Reply: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.