View Poll Results: Would you buy an "Old School Carbon" boat?
I would buy a carbon lightweight Old School boat
61.54%
Nope..Glass and steps for me
7.69%
Nope...Carbon and steps for me
15.38%
Nope...Glass and Old School for me
15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree0Likes

Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1985 Cigarette 28SS, 2003 Formula 260 SS
Default Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Take a 2000 non stepped Cigarette TG with Merc 500 efi's, it should run right around 70ish, with a full cabin and I believe a TS TG with 500 efi's will get you low 80's (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't own one so I only know what I read) with a cover girl cabin. In 2 to 3 footers I think the TS will smoke the straight bottom. I don't think rough water handling is compromised with steps in a straight line. The difference is the cover girl cabin is a little lighter than the full cabin so if you run the race in 4 to 6 footers it might get more interesting but I'd still put my money in the TS, however the guy in either boat is still going to be having a lot of fun and to me that counts for a lot. I've smoked a lot of people and been smoked plenty of times but at the end of the day I always had a smile on my face (unless something expensive broke)
Old 07-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered

I think it depends on the boat or application. I know someone who has a conventional bottom 42' Tiger with 1,000's & 6's and it porpoises like a B*tch. You have to run the tabs pretty aggressivesly in this boat to stop the porpoising....it slows you down almost 10mph!!! Another friend of mine (had) a 38 TS TopGun that ran like a dream, no porpoising and you rarely had to use the tabs. It flys extremely level.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I think it depends on the boat or application. I know someone who has a conventional bottom 42' Tiger with 1,000's & 6's and it porpoises like a B*tch. You have to run the tabs pretty aggressivesly in this boat to stop the porpoising....it slows you down almost 10mph!!! Another friend of mine (had) a 38 TS TopGun that ran like a dream, no porpoising and you rarely had to use the tabs. It flys extremely level.
Ive got a 00 tiger straight bottom with hp500efi's and my boat hates tabs, only use them when have to. with stock 500's and xr's Ive topped out at 73.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Registered

My Boats: 94 43SC Black Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Probably a center of gravity problem. The ones with bravos seem to run pretty well.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Take a 2000 non stepped Cigarette TG with Merc 500 efi's, it should run right around 70ish, with a full cabin and I believe a TS TG with 500 efi's will get you low 80's (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't own one so I only know what I read) with a cover girl cabin. In 2 to 3 footers I think the TS will smoke the straight bottom. I don't think rough water handling is compromised with steps in a straight line. The difference is the cover girl cabin is a little lighter than the full cabin so if you run the race in 4 to 6 footers it might get more interesting but I'd still put my money in the TS
The T/S with the same power and drives in any water will destroy the straight bottom Gun. Put a T/S with 900's and 6's against a straight bottom with 900's and 6's and you MIGHT be able to see the T/S's wake for a second before it walks away. They are alot more than straight line speed. I can turn mine on it's side and it doesn't act any differently than the 92 Gun we had before. If I try to crank the wheel at 90mph it will throw my dumbass out, just like a straight bottom would.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:59 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

My Boats: Renegade 32

If a boat is getting the proper amount of lift, in other words the strakes are clean and you are running on the the very bottom of the keel, with the "wet" surface at a minimum, what good does a "step" do? If you are running across the crest of the 2-3 foot waves, same question. Now, if the bottom is stuck to the water then I can see where the "steps" can play an important part and free things up and definetly run faster. Maybe I am off base but it would seem that if you already have the bottom in the air, the speed improvement available from a step would be limited.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Would you buy an "Old School" carbon boat?

Looks like from the poll Old School is in session ...
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

i guess i just miss the reasoning behind it... i with tsgun on this one...
Old 07-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean H
i guess i just miss the reasoning behind it... i with tsgun on this one...
But only on this one.

It's not that I'm dissing the Old School at all. It's that no one seems to realize the boats pretty much look the same except with better materials. The Top Gun looks the same as an 88 Top Gun besides some minor dash updates, cabin changes, vents, and cockpit configs. ALL of which are positive additions. They are faster and more efficient than before which to the gas price watchers should be more than attractive.

Another example. The Sabers are exactly like an old Apache with , again, BETTER materials. New dashes, new seating ideas, and better drivetrains and power are a GOOD thing.

No one blew the whistle on anything. Open your eyes and you can see the basics of the "old school" are still very noticable. If you want old school it's out there but without chalkboards and an abacus, thank god. You don't HAVE to have paint splattered all over everything. You can have plain white, IF YOU WRITE A CHECK FOR SOMETHING.

I will also remind everyone that old school boats have been covered in paint for decades (Apache). It's not a new concept or anything (Apache).

And Hydro. Why don't you stop talking about it and buy something? Anything. Then you might get a little experience outside of a magazine. It only gets frustrating when someone is sitting on the curb ragging on everyone elses stuff.

Last edited by TwinStepGun; 07-05-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'

I think WickedWon is one of the most awesome boats around, does Saber have a site? I googled it and got 24 foot eggbeater boats