Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Key West 2005 ???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/106801-key-west-2005-a.html)

bouyhunter 07-01-2005 08:22 AM

Key West 2005 ????

what's the details on K.W. this year??
I had a great time last year, and want to set up my trip today - what are the dates and is there any chance OSS will join again, it was a great showing last year.

PatriYacht 07-01-2005 09:03 AM

Re: Key West 2005 ????

There's a thread going in the racers section. It looks like OSS will not be there. A few of the OSS racers might show up if we can convince OSS not to have a race the same weekend. It should be a good time anyway. Hard not to have fun in Key West.

Ms PatriYacht 07-01-2005 10:36 AM

Here is what I posted in the racers section, after speaking personaly with the Conch Republic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been curious and dissapointed about the fact that some of the larger boats will not be in Key West, so I made a few phone calls and got right to the top. These are some of things that I was told.
1. Conch Republic is very aware of the OSS stance
2. All Boats were invited, but under 1 sanctioning body. The CR does not want to deal with multiple race organizations, because that brings in multiple rules, and double the demands.
3. They feel in order to be a true "WORLDS" you need to have boats from outside the US, that brings the UIM rules into the mix.
4. They do not want seperate races for OSS and SBI.
5. They feel that APBA and SBI have the most history and longevity in the sport, and that several boats are already racing in both groups already. I think they expect several boats to crossover.

These are business people and they may claim to care about the racing, but as the person I spoke to put it, "what they really care about is beds and meals". They want the City of Key West to make $, they feel that if a few boats are missing so be it, but at least they will not have to deal with feuding racing organizations.

At first I thought not having the big boats would dampen everyone's interest in going, but after posting about it in the General Disscussion I found it does not seem to make a big difference to the average fan, they will be in KW regardless.

As a fan of many of the OSS teams I am making a plea. In the interest of the sport and your fan base, could you put aside your differences for this event and hold your year end race on a different weekend. This way if the teams want to race in both groups they would be able to.

OK, that's my .02 I hope I did not offend anyone.

Outlawcowgirl 07-01-2005 12:46 PM

We wiil be back this year!!!

Ms PatriYacht 07-01-2005 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Outlawcowgirl
We wiil be back this year!!!

Us to, regardless of OSS :drink:

Phantom1 07-01-2005 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
Us to, regardless of OSS :drink:

Meeeeeeeee tooooooooo!

boater31v 07-01-2005 09:45 PM

We will be there again also. It isn't just about the "race boats" in Key West. The Florida Powerboat Club will bring enough awsome boats to put on a big enough show for me.

bouyhunter 07-02-2005 08:26 AM

OK - all the sanctioning can cut the crap and just race.
Has this just become a "swinging meat" contest??

Conch Republic, - Don't worry, I'll blow plenty of money$$ while I'm there.

Do I need a license to perform a service??? - see my signature....

lowblue320 07-02-2005 08:29 AM

Ill be there to, lets just see how many people are going just post if your going......

birdog 07-02-2005 11:07 AM

Wouldnt miss Key west