Notices

help understanding props

Old 07-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help understanding props

I run a 31' v hull, twin 454, 415 hp, stock bravo 1's, 1993 variety, engines and out drives are 2 years old. Just had the pain done, it looks FAST, now I get it to perform as good as it looks...

Max speed is upper 50's generally, have gotten to 60 with empty tank and great water...

I am thinking I should be able to get quite a bit more speed, running 25p three blade mirage props. I would like to get to mid 70's if possible. Max RPM's I can turn is 4400. I am also thinking I should be able to handle much more speed in that boat.

Someone told me a four blade gives more lift in the rear, I have quite a bit of bow rise.

If fours will do that, what about five bladed screws?

To get RPM's up closer to 5000 should I try and run a higher pitch? Should I focus on something besides screws and RPM?

I am not trying to get to 90 mph, but at the poker run this weekend I got smoked by some boats with much less HP than I have, I did not get trashed, finished in the middle of the pack, but want to come in closer to the front, and you know how that goes...

Thanks in advance for the help....

P.S. - the guy who won was in a 46' sonic with twin, blown big blocks. He SCREAMED by everyone else, I know he has a lot of HP, but damn, he is pushing a lot of boat too.....