Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Question Fountain 27 or baja 275 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107331-question-fountain-27-baja-275-a.html)

mcourson 07-10-2005 09:51 PM

Re: Question Fountain 27 or baja 275

Bailey,

Went something like this: Baja, Magic, Hustler, Fountain

Dad got out of it all together. Got tried of the high ins, headaches, etc etc. He just sold his place at the lake too. Got em himself 30 acres outside of Golconda. He still has a boat. War eagle 2072 with 115 Merc.

You been out on the river this year. I have been a few times. Been meaning to get in touch with ya again. Are you going to do the Poker Run on the Ohio this Sunday. I have not seen any info about it yet so not sure if it is going to happen.

STUCK 07-11-2005 12:09 PM

Is the Baja that much bigger? I'm kind of in the same boat I have a Baja 236 and would like to move up to a 27-29 foot range sometime next year. I'm thinking of also the Baja 275, Formula 271, Fountain 27, Nordic 28 and Velocity 280 or the 290sc. Anyone have input on these boats also?
Thanks

JaayTeee 07-11-2005 06:04 PM

Neither.

I'd go a little bigger.

( Unless your not boating on the
main channel from the dam to
25.)

Both of these choices will take a
beating on the weekends.

Top speed is going to be about the
same......about 50 mph :rolleyes:
this is when the props out of the water
as much as it's in the water....so we reach
a terminal speed :D

I managed alright in my 29....but I wouldn't
want to do it every weekend.

erice 07-12-2005 05:21 PM

I moved up from tournament ski boats and bought an 04 27 fountain last summer. I looked a both the Baja and Fountain. I'm very happy with my fountain but the baja is a more versatile boat. As others have posted drive both. On Lotto a 27 is small, I've enjoyed mine allot more when on other lakes. I'm ready for a 35 lightning. My 04 has 20hrs on it if your interested in it let me know.

baja bailey 07-14-2005 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by mcourson
Bailey,

Went something like this: Baja, Magic, Hustler, Fountain

Dad got out of it all together. Got tried of the high ins, headaches, etc etc. He just sold his place at the lake too. Got em himself 30 acres outside of Golconda. He still has a boat. War eagle 2072 with 115 Merc.

You been out on the river this year. I have been a few times. Been meaning to get in touch with ya again. Are you going to do the Poker Run on the Ohio this Sunday. I have not seen any info about it yet so not sure if it is going to happen.

I have been to the river 2 or 3 times, and to the lake once.. Did not know about the poker run.. What kind of boat do you have?

mcourson 07-18-2005 11:44 AM

Got me a 91 Bandit 223. White, Blue, and red.

Still got your H2X. I saw your buddy with the king cat at Thunder.

Dock Holiday 07-18-2005 12:04 PM

Both are very nice boats. I have more friends with Fountains than any other brand and even though I have owned three Baja's and have had very good luck with them, I really do like and respect the Fountain brand.

I have ridden in and driven 2 -29's, 2-35's, a 38 and a 42 Fountain.

But I will tell you a few first hand stories and you take it from there.

A good friend and his wife with a 29 and 500 EFI went to lunch with us on our 272 on a busy Saturday on Lake Norman. We got to the resturant and his wife asked him why our smaller Baja rode better than his fountain. "TRUE STORY"
They traded their boat in for a 35 Fountain.

Another friend traded his H2X Baja for a 29 Fountain. We hooked up with them one weekend and I went off and left him in rough water. We slowed down and he caught up with us and was asking how fast I was running, and on smooth water his boat was a good 10 MPH faster than mine.

We were in Savannah a little over a year ago. There was a lot of wind and reported 4-5 foot seas. Heading out the river was a 35 Fountain, 35 Cig, 36 Gladiator, 36 Apache and my 36 Baja. The Fountain was smoking everyone but the Gladitor whenwe came to the inlet of the ocean and everyone started to pass the Fountain one by one. At about two miles out we stopped to see where the Fountain was and he had turned back because it was too rough.

Fountain does a very nice job on things like the cuddy, I like their cuddy except for head room. The boats look very nice and do perform well on smooth water. On rough water it takes a longer Fountain than other boats to get the same ride quality.

Drive them both and pick the one you like best.

Happy Shopping

saubouin 07-18-2005 12:37 PM

Love my BAJA! It met all my criteria. A family Bow Rider with lots of room, rides well in choppy water, great for skining, tubing, etc., and runs low 60's with 1/2 tank and 8 people on board.

baja bailey 07-19-2005 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by mcourson
Got me a 91 Bandit 223. White, Blue, and red.

Still got your H2X. I saw your buddy with the king cat at Thunder.

Yes I still have the H2X. That King Cat sounds good doesnt it... Are you going out on the river very much?

mcourson 07-20-2005 08:59 AM

Bailey,

With my work schedule, I visit it more than I have in the past. Usually go out in the afternoon when I get off work on the weekends. I haven't been out on the river since Thunder. Was supposed to go out on it last Sunday but went to Rend because of the weather. Might be out there in the next couple of weeks. The boat is running a little rough and not sure I want to go to the river until I get it resolved.