Notices

KAAMA boots, custom rubber?

Old 07-10-2005, 06:55 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: KAAMA boots, custom rubber?

Here are some pictures in case anyone can help, but isn't sure what they are. The boot is a different diameter at both ends and there is a ridge on the inside that rides in a groove on the drive. You can click on them for a larger pic.

Last edited by bck; 07-10-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:27 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Weissmam ! Those are great looking drives. Tough to tell from the pic, but they sure look like they might be it. A phone call is definitely in order. Coincidence that I first heard of those drives about the same time Archer stopped getting boots?

Last edited by bck; 07-10-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can make a ring to get both ends the same diameter, take a look at www.mcmaster.com pg 3498 and 3499. Avail up to 12" ID for pretty reasonable costs.
-Greg
Old 07-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i spoke to a friend of mine in this very industry. he has done some work prototyping impellers and replacement boots for merc drives. he is putting me in contact with a supplier that can do these in silicone or EPDM as an alternative to natural rubber. i will meet with her as soon as i can and run these pics by her. my friend seems to think we can get the set up cost and minimum units down considerably. does anybody have any rough dimensions? i also have some info in my stack of old boat stuff, i have an old sales brochure that i got right from Kaama back in like 1985 or something. hope i can help.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 07-11-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

by the way is the side of the boot straight or is it steped with a slight "accordian" like rolling in it ?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-11-2005, 10:55 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have sent the one boot we had to Texas to get done by a friend that makes rubber products for the oil industry.

The original mold is in limbo somewhere. I will let you know when there is a replacement and where to puchase it from.

My father designed the Kaama drive and that is why we used the boot on the WSD drive that came out in 2000.

pat W
Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Glassdave, I have the boots and drives in the garage so I can get you measurements. I would also be willing to send you a boot if necessary, it would not be an extra boot but one from the boat, so I would need to have it returned in good condition so I could try to repair it in a worst case scenario( it has a couple small tears in it). The boot does have a "slight accordion like rolling", I am not sure if it is designed in or whether it is just stretched from use.
Shifter(Pat), I called your company today, but you were on the phone. You seem to have answered my question here. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If you have any other info about the drives you can share I'm sure there are a few people here that would be interested.

Last edited by bck; 07-11-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the deminsions on them. They are straight sided. When I bought my boat, I had two brand new spares. I put one on, because only one was leaking. I had a fellow Oso'r ask to by my second spare so he could get on the water. Since I didn't need it at the time, I sold it to him for the cost of another, since I figured I'd just go ahead an order another spare, so I would have it when I needed it. Then I find Archer is no longer selling them. Nice guys finish last.
Attached Thumbnails KAAMA boots, custom rubber?-lastscan.jpg   KAAMA boots, custom rubber?-.jpg   KAAMA boots, custom rubber?-b.jpg  

Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
alj
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a callout to all you guys subscribed to this thread. Anybody been in touch with Shifter at Weismann about these boots? I know their new designs don't use the boots anymore but they must have some old customers that they have to keep happy. Take a look at the other threads on this subject that are now conveniently located at the bottom of the thread below. I don't think Archer is going to put time into this any more.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is interesting for you Kaama guys
http://cgi.ebay.com/kamma-450-valve-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Quick Reply: KAAMA boots, custom rubber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.