Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do "family functions" get in the way of your boating???? >

Do "family functions" get in the way of your boating????

Notices

Do "family functions" get in the way of your boating????

Old 07-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do "family functions" get in the way of your boating????

It better be a real close friend or family member getting married or dying for me to skip a boating weekend.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:48 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is on the weekend sorry can't make it!! Family knows of the summer rule. Winter time....OK I'll be there
Old 07-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

My now "ex-girlfriend" had probably the biggest event of her life this past year. She is a professional dog handler and was showing 2 dogs in the Westminster Dog Show in NYC. She was gonna be on TV and it was over Valentine's Day weekend. The "outside world" says I should have gone.

WRONG !! I was in Miami for the Boat Show and parties and MY OSO FRIENDS.

Her career has her working nearly every weekend, I'm either racing, pleasure boating, or making arrangements to do one or the other.

I do love her, and I do miss her, but our priorities are different.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by masi242
Most people just don`t understand how much we love our boats
BINGO! My "non-boater friends" think I am strange because my life revolves around boating in the summer. A couple years ago my brother was in town and a bunch of us went boating on the 4th. We were suppose to cut out early and go to a family function. Well, we said f**k it and skipped it. Wow, was our family pissed. But, like soemone said, they got over it!

And I hear the friends moving on to kids, swimming pools and little league! I actually boat with people younger with no kids or older with older kids, but hardly anyone my age.

Funny thing is, I sold my Donzi to get a smaller, less expensive boat because I did miss good boating weekends because of family/friend functions. But this year I have been out on my new(smaller) boat more than the previous 2 years combined!

Glad to know I am not the only selfish one out there!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[

Most people just don`t understand how much we love our boats [/QUOTE]

MArk you nailed it.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:55 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

More like my family gets in the way of boating.
Bit off more than we can chew... boat, beach club, and pool club.
Going too many directions at a time.
Plus since the 9mo old cant really go out on the boat, we all would have to wait around for the nanny to start working at 2pm on saturday just to get started.

My wife is starting to get more into it... hoping to raft up w/ friends and stuff. Damn she called me an hour ago to see if I could leave work early so we can go out on the boat. Well, its a start.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why in the hell would getting married or having kids stop anyone from boating? Why would anyone marry a non boater? Why would anyone not want to get their kids boating asap? My wife and I even chartered a 125 year old steam ship for our wedding. Grooms party showed up by boat. Got on a bigger boat. Had a few quick cocktails and then got hitched. Our daughter had her first boat ride at 4 weeks old. Shes hooked now at 8 yrs old and all she wants to do is boat.

So Doug, I guess some lame family function is what kept you from the Lake Of Bays poker run this weekend????????
Old 07-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Plus since the 9mo old cant really go out on the boat, we all would have to wait around for the nanny to start working at 2pm on saturday just to get started.
By daughter was boating when she was 3 weeks old who was born in July. My son born in January was 4 months old before he got started. There is NO excuse for not getting out with one that old.

We lost a friend??? because she did not understand that boating was more important then going to a baby shower for her daughter-in-law.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:53 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both of my brothers have lake houses and its just assumed they will not attend a week-end function of any type and its excused. Me on the other hand has nothing better to do than attend a great aunt's 52nd year of not smoking anniversary?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Airpacker]Why in the hell would getting married or having kids stop anyone from boating? QUOTE]

It's more what the kids are into I think. Soccer games, little league, etc. I have a lot of friends that have their Saturdays taken up because of their kid's functions.

Plus, even if they can go when they are really young you can't go out all day unless you have the right boat. And I know I sure as hell don't have that type of boat! So, if I ever have kids I'll have to get a more "family-oriented" boa.

Quick Reply: Do "family functions" get in the way of your boating????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.