Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Land gas or marina gas? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/107752-land-gas-marina-gas.html)

JasonSmith 07-14-2005 08:57 PM

Land gas or marina gas?

If you have the choice, do you buy boat gas on the land or on the water? I personally am thinking of buying a 500 gal wheeled tank w/ pump and 200' of hose to filler up on the dock rather than getting the trailer and pulling out.

Formula Outlaw 07-14-2005 09:02 PM

Re: Land gas or marina gas?

I keep my boat on a trailer at my home so I fill up at the local Race Trac. Usually about 60 cents or more difference per gallon in price. Makes a difference.

OldSchool 07-14-2005 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
I keep my boat on a trailer at my home so I fill up at the local Race Trac. Usually about 60 cents or more difference per gallon in price. Makes a difference.

Land for me. It's about a .25 per gal difference. I keep mine on the trailer in a storage building about 4 miles from the ramp.

MitchStellin 07-14-2005 09:05 PM

Well that sounds like a pain but I would say land fuel is safer, it is turned over faster, it is faw away from water which is a bad thing, temp changes also cause condensation on the water. A 55 gal drum would weigh 400+ pounds and would have to be hand pumped, I say pull it out. :chimp:

t500hps 07-14-2005 09:18 PM

If the boat is already in the water, then that's where I buy gas. Since it is trailered home, I usually fill up at the local Sheetz.

waybomb 07-14-2005 09:24 PM

Make sure your barrel and hose (real gas hoses have a metal grounding braid) are grounded to each other and that you fuel with the metal filler nozzle always touching the metal ring of the fuel-fill fitting. Sparks from static while fueling become real big fires fast.

PWRQWST 07-14-2005 10:07 PM

I trailer all the time so I fuel up on land. Plus I have to run 92+octane and my marina only sells 87 stuff. When in LOTO for a week or so I will fill up on water.

Turbojoc 07-14-2005 10:35 PM

Before trailering 500 gal of gas check with your state. Down here in Alabama if you transport more than 120 or 130 gal the vehicle must have hazmat placards and the driver must have a CDL with hazmat endorsement. You can use a skid tank and have one of your local fuel wholesalers fill the tank, but for such a small quantity you will probably be paying the same per gallon as at the station. If you go the skid tank route do not go any larger than 1,000 gal because any larger and you have to use a containment system.

Orion 27Fever 07-14-2005 10:46 PM

Land gas, usually $.30-$.50 cheaper. I have a 50 gal. transfer diamond plate transfer tank in the back of my pickup with a 12V pump and 50 ft. of hose. I park within 50 ft. of the hoist I keep the boat on. Saves time by not having to go to the gas dock and saves money. One can easily pay for a transfer tank set up in a season with the fuel savings.

Dave M 07-15-2005 02:25 AM

I usually get my gas at WaWa. They have good Subs too.