Notices

Wsidom from T2x?

Old 07-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wsidom from T2x?

Originally Posted by Miller
Shane, call me at the office. I'll be tied up on calls all day but can use a call from Mr. Mahieu as an excuse to get off for a bit!
Old 07-19-2005, 10:05 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Birdog - You are absolutely right.
But, only about the insurance Co.s.
What about all the regulation that is being (or soon going to be) implemented into out local waterways?
I'm glad you all pointed out to me why moving this thread was a bad idea.
Now we are generating some decent discussion of a very serious topic, and to the last sport/recreation that is fairly low regulated. AND THAT IS A GOOD THING!!!!!
I actually hope the Ins. Co.s don't read this, but that is big corporate biz. They probably have a guy that his job from 8-5 is to read boat forums, and figure out how to justify raising premiums. May sound crazy, but, in today's world, think about it.
Multimillion dollar industry - pay someone $30,000 a year to surf the internet about boats and then establish a spreadsheet of statistics.
Sounds pretty feasible.
Now, get the Government and Taxes/Fines involved. Another cash COW.
See what I'm talking about??
The problem is not posts on OSO........ The problem is people getting injured and killed due to lack of knowledge and training...... and if an insurance company is going to "lurk"....they'll certainly pay a platinum fee for "inside information".

For some assinine reason the roles of racing and poker running have gotten all tangled up. Instead of the guys who want to race...actually going to races....and the guys who want to show off their high end fiberglass bling and girlfriend's plastic boobs ...going to Poker Runs..... The reverse seems to be happening....with show offs racing (albeit with good safety rules)...... and amateurs running deck to deck at Poker Runs with unlimited power and speed..... and no safety equipment. If this isn't a prescription for disaster I don't know what is. We can try and hush this on our forums.....but insurance companies get the death certificates and hospital bills anyhow.

Bottom line.....if you want to race......do it in a in a real sanctioned event.

If you want to "style and profile"........ do it safely and at a reasonable speed....especially with passengers on board.

This is a critical issue that can mean the continuance of performance boating as we know it........or the beginning of our boating lives in a Bayliner.

T2x
Old 07-19-2005, 10:34 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
...or the beginning of our boating lives in a Bayliner.
The real tragedy is if there is no plastic boobs on Bayliners...
Old 07-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread! Albeit, a frustrating one at the same time.

Most of my experience with fast boats is limited to one lake. LOTO.
However, the type of watercraft, operators, personalities, and water conditions probably vary as much or more there than anywhere in the country, giving me a pretty good view of the problems that can occur in this type of hobby.

First of all, the Lake Rescue Shootout bring all kinds of people, but mostly the type of driver that wants to push his boat to the limit, in CONTROLLED conditions with a radar to back up his performance. The majority of the entrants truly have a good handle on not only their machines, but themselves as well.

Any other weekend at the lake is a different story. Just as mentioned above, you have everything from the guy who know his and his boats limits and does not push beyond them, to the guy that just wants everyone to know how much money he has and show everyone how fast he can go.

The problem is as I see it anyway, is there is a certain personality profile that has tons of cash, will not listen to anyone else's advice or opinions, feels they are above everyone else (law included) and will NEVER let anyone tell THEM how to drive THEIR boat. As we all know, these are the types that have the highest probability of having a serious incident of some type at some point.
The people who are interested in learning their own limits and take the time to even read a post such as this are probably not the ones to worry about.

In the end, I would guess that the insurance companies will probably do nothing more than leave out the people that actually APPRECIATE their boats and all that will be left is the people that can afford to go kill themselves. I don't see much upside here.
I don't think there are enough of us for the Federal government to worry about, but the state and locals will be the ones to regulate us out of our hobby.

As far as the Poker runs go, when it becomes as "cool" and as convenient to enter a sanctioned race as it is a poker run, we will see more people actually want to enter a race.

Perhaps it is a bit too much "wishful thinking" on my part, but wouldn't it be great for the sanctioning bodies to actually get together (I know-it's happened to a point) and offer a "Poker run series" that anyone can enter in conjunction with their events that would offer large pay-outs, an excellent run agenda, and a poker run atmosphere ALONG WITH the same strict safety rules and support (helicopters, divers, safety boats, etc) that the event itself enjoys!
Just food for thought.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLH
VERY well said!!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:07 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I have to disagree with ya on this one GL. We will and are getting regulated already. Speed limits will soon be at all of our lakes, most have noise restrictions and so on. It is only going to get worse as the perceived danger of our boats scares others on the lakes. Look to Lake Winni to get a speed limit in a year or two min. is my guess
1. I doubt there is a way to measure speed on water that would not be thrown out in court, if your lawyer knows his stuff.

2. Laws as far as I know have never stopped people from wipeing themselves out.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
1. I doubt there is a way to measure speed on water that would not be thrown out in court, if your lawyer knows his stuff.

2. Laws as far as I know have never stopped people from wipeing themselves out.

Responce to 1) There are ways to measure speed on the water, new radars work well. They may not get ya for going 50 in a 45 but they sure will get ya for going over 60. Not hard to tell. Judges often times take a cops "word" over a guy who must have one of them thar chigar boats who obviously purchased it not only for his small penis but also his propensity to speed....

Responce to 2) Yes while laws do not stop the stupid, many laws keep us from wipeing one another out. Imagine how many more deaths there would be on the highways if there were no speed limits...... One guy driving 60 and another going 140.....

While I am in full agreement that the speed limit is not the answer I know that it is coming to lakes sooner probably then later
Old 07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Responce to 1) There are ways to measure speed on the water, new radars work well. They may not get ya for going 50 in a 45 but they sure will get ya for going over 60. Not hard to tell. Judges often times take a cops "word" over a guy who must have one of them thar chigar boats who obviously purchased it not only for his small penis but also his propensity to speed....

Responce to 2) Yes while laws do not stop the stupid, many laws keep us from wipeing one another out. Imagine how many more deaths there would be on the highways if there were no speed limits...... One guy driving 60 and another going 140.....

While I am in full agreement that the speed limit is not the answer I know that it is coming to lakes sooner probably then later
What can I say... Yet again you have broaden my minute knowledge

BTW "responce" is spelled "response".
Old 07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Wsie guy...........

T2x
Old 07-19-2005, 01:23 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
...feels they are above everyone else (law included)...
However usually the laws of hydrodynamics and gravity are hard to circumvent...

Quick Reply: Wsidom from T2x?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.