Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now? >

OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Notices

OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Old 07-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

We started talking about this in another thread and it got me a wondering...where are all of the old race boats that I remember so well as a kid from the 70's & 80's??

My dad and I were lucky enough to have recently purchased Rocky Aoki's old 35' Cigarette "Benihana" also raced by Hal Sahlmann as "Spirit". We bought her with the intention of restoring her as we believe that these great old boats have important historical value to our hobby/sport. Judging from some of the other people I have spoken to lately, I seems like others agree.

I know Ike is fixing up the Mich Lite 38' Scarab; someone else on here is restoring/or has restored one of Betty Cook's old KAAMA Scarabs; the Sutphen "INFERNO" was recently done and looks great; and of course "Dry Martini" was pictured in an Extreme Boats Mag. last year.

Who else is out there and has an old race boat? Please share some pictures...

Here's few of our recent purchase - past & present...
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-benihanaxa.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-file0009a.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
spiritofbenihana (02-11-2022)
Old 07-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

and this is what she looked like right before we got her...
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-file0005a.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-file0010a.jpg  
Old 07-21-2005, 09:36 PM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rock on Chatim! I love these threads!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what you are doing is really COOL!! I wish I had the time and MONEY to do that!!! It is a GREAT TRIBUTE to powerboating!!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

here,s one of "Inferno", now "Notorious"-
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-hpim0360.jpg  
Old 07-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Registered

Thanks for the kind words! I am really excited about fixing "Benihana" up!

I forgot the obvious... The original "Top Banana" 24' banana boat was sold to Chuck Fogarty who renamed her "Gone Bananas" and raced her for a year before she was stolen & destroyed in Miami...sadly gone.

The 38' "Top Banana" also raced by my dad as "Rums of Puerto Rico" is still owned by a guy in RI who bought it from my dad in 1981. He has it stored in a warehouse and it is literally walled-in (the walls need to be torn down to get it out!) I think all of the parts are there but the guy has it all dismantled...he's a bit of an eccentric...???
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-03atb.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-07agb.jpg  

Last edited by Chatim Racing; 07-30-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Registered

and a couple of the 38'
Attached Thumbnails OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-14atb2.jpg   OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?-01arums.jpg  
Old 07-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold Aronow's original "Maltese Magnum" to a person in Seatle (sp?) Washington who is restoring it as the original raceboat. He should have it done in the spring of 06.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

That black Cig. is an awsome looking boat! I love those old race boats & the history & stories behind them. Everytime I see one I must say that I am guilty of some major day dreaming! You just wish they could talk sometimes! I love to hear the stories behind them & where they ended up. Those old boats are the backbone of our sport today, if it weren't for those old race boats we wouldn't have what we do now. I love the old nostalgia stuff whether it be race boats , cars ect... How do you plan on restoring the old boat ? back to its race condition Name lettering and so-forth ? I have a 79 24'
Pantera that I have completely re-done (never was a race boat to my knowladge) but still very nostalgia when I got it.
I went a little more modern with this boat, I would like to find
an older 28 to re-do. I have my 24 for sale in the classifieds now. Take a look at it in the Pantera forum entitled my 24 pics
( Not trying to jack your forum I just figured you were like me and loved the classic offshore boats.) Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 364 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
That black Cig. is an awsome looking boat! I love those old race boats & the history & stories behind them. Everytime I see one I must say that I am guilty of some major day dreaming! You just wish they could talk sometimes! I love to hear the stories behind them & where they ended up. Those old boats are the backbone of our sport today, if it weren't for those old race boats we wouldn't have what we do now.

Amen brotha, I totaly agree with you!!!

I wished i could have gotton my hands on the old 47' apache INXS

Quick Reply: OLD RACE BOATS - Where are they now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.