Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Weekend Damage Report (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108325-weekend-damage-report.html)

Shane 07-23-2005 05:54 PM

Weekend Damage Report

Damnit! I should have taken OSO member Chuck's offer to go to Lake Champlain with him today. At about 3:00 my cousin arrived from Long Island and we were going to take out the Skater for a cruise up the lake. When I fired up the starboard engine it made an AWEFFUL racket. I said, "boy that doesn't sound good" :rolleyes: . We headed out and eased it up on plane. Cruising along at about 50 or 60 the starboard motor was light on RPM's. We headed for home hoping it was just a bad plug or coil. I felt the plugs and one was barely warm. I pulled it, and it looked like it was sand blasted! :mad: All the other plugs looked GREAT! :cool: The top of the piston looked sand blasted as well. I was so disgusted we pulled it out of the water and I covered it up. :( :mad: Maybe I will pull the head tomorrow to look inside and see how bad it is.

Hopefully, it just burned a hole in the top of the piston and damage will be mild. Hopefully just a piece a dirt in the carb or similar. I bought these powerheads for longevity and run the fuel oil mixture rich, the jets fat, and don't run her WFO. Sometimes, it just ain't your day! :(

Strip Poker 388 07-23-2005 06:12 PM

Re: Weekend Damage Report

Originally Posted by Shane
Damnit! I should have taken OSO member Chuck's offer to go to Lake Champlain with him today. At about 3:00 my cousin arrived from Long Island and we were going to take out the Skater for a cruise up the lake. When I fired up the starboard engine it made an AWEFFUL racket. I said, "boy that doesn't sound good" :rolleyes: . We headed out and eased it up on plane. Cruising along at about 50 or 60 the starboard motor was light on RPM's. We headed for home hoping it was just a bad plug or coil. I felt the plugs and one was barely warm. I pulled it, and it looked like it was sand blasted! :mad: All the other plugs looked GREAT! :cool: The top of the piston looked sand blasted as well. I was so disgusted we pulled it out of the water and I covered it up. :( :mad: Maybe I will pull the head tomorrow to look inside and see how bad it is.

Hopefully, it just burned a hole in the top of the piston and damage will be mild. Hopefully just a piece a dirt in the carb or similar. I bought these powerheads for longevity and run the fuel oil mixture rich, the jets fat, and don't run her WFO. Sometimes, it just ain't your day! :(

Hopefully ya didn't get a cylinder wall too:eek: If its that rich maybe its a intake leak?

Good luck

Rob :drink:

GO4BROKE 07-23-2005 08:03 PM

Good luck with it Shane! Intake leak is a likely culprit. If it makes you feel any better so far this year I have spun a coupler and threw a blade on a labbed prop. As if fuel isn't costing enough this year! Oh well, if it weren't expensive it wouldn't be a speed boat. :drink:

Mike 35 Fountain 07-23-2005 08:41 PM

Just got home........starboard drive.....kaboom

actually wasn't bad was on my way home and only about 2 miles away.

and I have another brand new one in the garage :D

just don't have the ambition to change it to go back out tomorrow.

today was first day in this year.........so something had to break.

Tinkerer 07-23-2005 11:24 PM

Any time you have an engine that just doesn't sound or run right -- DON'T keep running it -- SHUT IT DOWN AND FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG.
It is a lot easier on the wallet that way.

stecz20 07-23-2005 11:24 PM

blew a starboard drive myself... other than that is was a great day...

ratman 07-23-2005 11:41 PM

It is a lot easier on the wallet that way.
sure sounds reasonable to me. run it til it blows can be very pricey :eek: