Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   T2x tests the Verado (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108470-t2x-tests-verado.html)

T2x 07-25-2005 06:12 PM

T2x tests the Verado

We got a chance to experience our first Verados Saturday. The boat du jour was a 32' Boston Whaler Rampage, and my first impression of the engines is "Wow"!

After checking out the installation...impeccable...and figuring out the switch panel...I turned the ignition on...and simply tapped the start/stop buttons....like a mouse click...... the computer took it from there. Although you need to check the single all purpose, combined Smart Craft display (A really neat accessory) to assure that the engines are, in fact, running because they are amazingly quiet. The only sound being a slight rumble which was less audible than the water streams from the cooling telltales. A gentle shift-by-wire nudge...and the big outboards were in reverse...... The only sound here was the rush of water around the transom and the gurgling of the props. I eased her out into Joey Imprescia's canal....and was stunned by how slowly the boat idled along..... these engines sat at 550 RPM.... and gave the smoothest idle I've ever seen...... (Think Electric trolling motor at it's slowest setting).

Once we got to the bay I put a little throttle into it and got a response akin to a pair of diesels. Hello!....... I immediately realised two things....This is one big, heavy wave crushing boat....and two.....These motors are as powerful as any I/O when transitioning from low to mid range. We got quickly onto plane..... and basically flattened a nasty 2-3 foot chop at about 4500 RPM...... We also carried on a conversation at normal levels.

We turned for home as we were on a limited schedule...... and one of our old 21' Shadows came alongside with a couple of people and a 250 horse two stroke on the transom.

What the heck, I figured, let's see who can run over this crap faster. I nailed the throttles and she almost instantly spooled to 6200 RPM.....at about 60. The little 21 footer, certainly faster in calm water, could not keep up.....amazingly in acceleration at first....but also at top speed in the nasty chop. By the way...we were still talking at conversational levels...and the engines were emitting a pleasant, authoritarian, but not overly loud, roar.

We headed into the canal and as we came off plane...I thought for a second that the engines had stalled...... not to worry...they had simply gone back into the stealthy silent running mode that signifies idle. Docking was as easy as you please and I can honestly state that I could put this boat into any spot that gives me no more than a couple of feet of clearance...because of the civilized idling behaviour of these motors.

We'll take her out again in a few days I hope....but man...what an intro.

By the way...the boat didn't exactly suck either.

T2x

Steve 1 07-25-2005 08:05 PM

Re: T2x tests the Verado

Rich nice post thanks!

GOODT 07-25-2005 08:17 PM

WE HAVE SEVERAL BOATS WITH THE VERODOS ALL I CAN SAY IS THEY ARE GREAT.......

ONE BIG PROBLEM THOUGH!!!! SO QUIET YOU CANT TELL WHEN THEY ARE RUNNING!!!!!!!! :evilb:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-25-2005 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by GOODT
ONE BIG PROBLEM THOUGH!!!! SO QUIET YOU CANT TELL WHEN THEY ARE RUNNING!!!!!!!! :evilb:

Perhaps they should come with a bright light on the dash for when they stall... :eureka:

But from what it sounds like, it may never light up!

I saw 3 of these on a center console at Shore Dreams For Kids. All you heard was the water from the tell tale hitting the water..... :drink:

Indy 07-25-2005 08:27 PM

Cool...sounds like they got it right (Whaler too!!), thanks for the review.

at100plus 07-25-2005 08:37 PM

Bet it's night and day from trying to dock my twin 260s, shutting them off, shifting, starting in gear, hoping they start on the first try while coasting into the dock......

I long for the day of a 300 hp 375 lb. supercharged four stroke that you can run full throttle all day.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-25-2005 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by at100plus
Bet it's night and day from trying to dock my twin 260s, shutting them off, shifting, starting in gear, hoping they start on the first try while coasting into the dock......

I used to do that Mike....I no longer once one day Doug Lewis told me that those clutch dogs take more of a hammering when hopping in & out of the water than they do shifting. It made a lot of sense to me, so now I just treat them what they were designed to do. Sure they still may stall anyway going into gear.... :drink:

at100plus 07-25-2005 08:59 PM

I know, I just can't do it. I try not to beat on them too badly in the rough too.

ApachePete 07-25-2005 09:28 PM

Rich,

Did that boat have tripps?

I've got a friend with that boat with twin 275 Verados which does 50 MPH.

Great boat, and great motors.

I tried to get Gene Whipp's old Gulfwind Marine (now Marine Max) to take my 1999 Formula 382 with 500 EFI's, and my 2000 Pursuit 245 with a 250 Yamaha on an even trade, and we were FAR apart. :mad:

That Whaler and Verados seem to be a perfect combination. :p

T2x 07-26-2005 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ApachePete
Rich,

Did that boat have tripps?

That Whaler and Verados seem to be a perfect combination. :p

Twins and you're right a terrific combo. The speed was an estimate..... Joey tells me the boat runs consistently in the mid 50's.... When we were decelerating I looked down and saw 54.... Hence my estimate of 60... That might be a tad high.

T2x