Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Local Govt.: Good news, for a change.... >

Local Govt.: Good news, for a change....

Notices

Local Govt.: Good news, for a change....

Old 07-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Govt.: Good news, for a change....

It was announced today that Sarasota County is purchasing waterfront property in Osprey, on the south/east side of the old swing bridge to put in two new boat ramps and parking along with a "park like" setting for "picnicks". This is directly across from the Casey Key Fish House, usually a card stop on OPBA poker runs.

They also stated that they are "eyeing" other properties because of the drastic need for boat ramps for our area.

"One small step for man......"
One giant step for boaters....

I had to read it three times before I believed it.....
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Banned

Default Re: Local Govt.: Good news, for a change....

That is good news. Is there any room for parking there?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
That is good news. Is there any room for parking there?

YES. That was of primary concern. Right now in Sarasota County there are only 509 legitimate/legal parking spaces for boat trailers at all the county ramps to handle roughly 4,000 plus boats. The parking was one of the PRIMARY concerns for deciding on this property.

Will also be easy to get to from I-75. Should help alot.

They hope to have it up and running by year's end, or sooner.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Russ,
That is great news, CONGRATS!
Dean
Old 07-26-2005, 07:24 AM
Banned

They have the same problem in Pinellas County. There are lot's of boat ramps, but most only have a handful of parking spaces. That's why I always used Ft Desoto on a day I knew would be busy. They have a huge lot, but then will let you park as far down the highway in the grass as you are willing to walk. Every other ramp in Pinellas will ticket you in a heartbeat anywhere near it. Once they ticketed me twice; one ticket for the truck, and one for the trailer. They sent me back the fine on one of them eventually.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
They have the same problem in Pinellas County. There are lot's of boat ramps, but most only have a handful of parking spaces. That's why I always used Ft Desoto on a day I knew would be busy. They have a huge lot, but then will let you park as far down the highway in the grass as you are willing to walk. Every other ramp in Pinellas will ticket you in a heartbeat anywhere near it. Once they ticketed me twice; one ticket for the truck, and one for the trailer. They sent me back the fine on one of them eventually.

Only guy I know who ever got a ticket for his truck AND trailer....congratulations....
Old 07-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered

One step forward Two steps back!!

Advisory group ponders year-round idle zone for Kings Bay
By Jim Hunter

The Public Outreach Subcommittee of the Kings Bay Advisory Group voted unanimously Monday to recommend to its parent board that Kings Bay should have idle speed year round.

The bay now has what's called a "sports" zone in the south half during four months of the summer for activities such as waterskiing, tubing and jet skiing. The zone allows speeds of up to 35 miles per hour. During the manatee season, it is slow and idle speed in the bay.

Check out the Manatee Cam today!

Citrus County Community Services Director Gary Maidhof, who sits on the subcommittee, told members Monday that the sports zone was created in 1990 as part of the county growth management plan when the county was creating its manatee protection plan. The idea for the zone, he said, was a compromise with those who said the plan for idle speed in the bay was cutting off all recreational use of the bay to protect manatees.

The manatees come into the bay in the winter in large numbers seeking the warmer water of the springs when the gulf temperature drops. The manatees have been making a slow comeback, and while the winter populations has increased by 130 percent in the last 20 years, the smaller summer population has increased by twice that, at 244 percent, According to subcommittee chair Amy Remley, of the Southwest Florida Water Management District.

That fact sparked the discussion of the subject in the subcommittee. About 55 manatees now summer in the bay, Remley said. As the discussion ensued, the consensus of the subcommittee and residents and dive shop operators who attended was that the summer sports zone has created a number of problems, in addition to being a threat to the larger numbers of summering manatee.

Public safety was the foremost concern, in addition to the many speeding craft adding to the turbidity of the shallow bay by disturbing the bottom and eroding the shoreline, members noted.

"It's a hazard for people, not just manatees," said Jerry Hogan of the Crystal Lodge Best Western Dive shop. Hogan said idle speed should at the very least be considered for weekends and holidays based on the dangerous conditions of so many speeding craft in a small place. "It's a zoo out there," he said.

After discussion, the members agreed that basing a recommendation on making the whole bay idle speed all year round on manatee concerns was not strong enough and such a proposal would have to go through the state, which would require evidence that wasn't compiled, like mortality and injury data, to back up the need.

Approaching it from the public safety and water quality angle would keep it a local decision, Maidhof said, allowing the Crystal River City Council and the Citrus County Commission to decide it.

So while the danger to the manatees was part of the concern, the group felt the public safety issue and water quality and environmental issues were actually stronger arguments, given the traffic on the bay and its effects.

Maidhof said the situation has changed after 15 years of growth and that there appeared to be easily observable evidence to that. "I don't think it will be difficult to accomplish," he said. Given today's situation, he said, "The time for the summer sports zone is past."

Remley said she would pass the recommendation on to the full advisory board. It will meet in mid to late September in Crystal River at the state's St. Martins Preserve office and consider whether it want to pass the recommendation on to the county and city of Crystal River.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Registered

Russ
I read the article that they are considering purchasing the property?? Just like they were considering purchasing the property at Philippi Creek. I hope they do but in all honesty do you think the people on Casey Key will really allow it to happen??
Old 07-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Registered

That's just great. Somebody doesn't water ski or tube, so now no one will be able to do it.

They should just go ahead an prohibit human beings from the State of Florida and just get it over with.

Since when did an animal, or mammal, matter more than a human being?

It just never stops.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigBoat
Russ
I read the article that they are considering purchasing the property?? Just like they were considering purchasing the property at Philippi Creek. I hope they do but in all honesty do you think the people on Casey Key will really allow it to happen??

Yeah, I think it's a done deal. The purchase was supposed to happen today.

County Commissioners have been getting bombarded with emails about lack of water access, especially with all the closings of waterfront businesses for the development of condos.

On the Phillipi Creek deal, the county got outbid for the parcel.
The County offered 7.8 million and a private developer offered up 8.4 million, ergo it was sold to the highest bidder. I like this location better cause it's closer to me...

This is not going to be anything like the 10th St. Ramps. It will be a family oriented area, with picnic tables, grills, etc. Also PLENTY of trailer parking.

This time I think it's going to happen. At least I hope so.