Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   MUFFLERS...are you using them or not? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108751-mufflers-you-using-them-not.html)

Semper Fi 07-28-2005 07:21 PM

MUFFLERS...are you using them or not?

I was wondering what people are doing about the noise restrictions on our waterways these days. I am curious to see what boat you have, engines, HP, and where you boat, etc...

I am serious about this...I have a friend that had his weekend ruined last weekend at Havasu because his boat wouldn't pass the decible meter test and he wasn't able to go boating :mad:

Please answer the following questions...
Boat
Engine(s)
Horsepower
Mufflers you are using (if any/ do you like them?)
_______________________________________________-

Here's my info

1997 33' Powerplay
2 HP500's
525HP (rebuilt motors)
Using Zoomers Marine mufflers....I love them!!!
I boat in the Pacific coastal waters and mostly Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Thanks OSO :D

Vinny P 07-28-2005 07:42 PM

Re: MUFFLERS...are you using them or not?

I run GGB extremes on dry CMI headers and tails on my 540. They sound great and have no power loss.

Formula Outlaw 07-28-2005 07:57 PM

89' 311 SR1, basic 454 mags, Eddie Marine Thunder aluminum exhaust. Removed silent thunder box and installed new Stainless Marine tips with "superflapper. All parts courtesy Trick Marine (shameless plug :D)

We don't have (fortunately) noise issues here, just the manatee issues.

Very seldom see an "offshore" or "performance" boat with mufflers here.

Phantom1 07-28-2005 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not required, but I run GGB's by choice. Like Checkmate 454mag, my 540 is a little on the loud side.

I am also very happy with GGB and Trick Marine - excellent service in the getting them ordered and delivered.

McGary911 07-28-2005 08:06 PM

22' Donzi Criterion. 502 BBC. Probably around 550 hp. No mufflers. In NJ, you are required to have some kind of muffling device, or u get a tkt. I take it easy around the marine police, and havent been bothered yet. That sound you hear is me knocking on wood.......

MnFastBoat 07-28-2005 08:17 PM

Have to because of state laws
however, I am not totally compliant because they are switchable :)
1999 Advantage 28' Sportcat with Twin stock 502's
Running the Teague 450's and LOVE THEM.
They really take the bark out, both open and closed.
Closed you can sit in the back seat and carry on a conversation.
Open, you can too, just talk a little louder but still able to :)

f311fr1 07-28-2005 09:19 PM

43 Black Thunder, TMP 750 HP, normally aspirated, CMI headers, CMI tails, wet @ the end with GGB Extream muffler tips. Much better than 4 1/2" Stainless marine Gen III thru transom dry until last inch. You can talk in normal tones until wind noise gets too loud. Joe Murray

bobl 07-28-2005 09:35 PM

28' Nordic with Whipplecharged 540/800HP running GGB mufflers. Mufflers are not required here, but I like a boat to sound good, but not incredibly loud. These seem to be just about right.

HUSTLEthis 07-28-2005 11:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We have a Top Gun ts, Pfaff engines, Stellings, bought Gibsons clamp ons...they work great...use them at Lake Mead or Havasu...take them off for the coast runs

Lofty 07-29-2005 12:51 AM

Yes, GGB Extremes.

The only way to fly!