Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best Paint/Gelcoat Restorer To Use Without Buffer (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108859-best-paint-gelcoat-restorer-use-without-buffer.html)

ferraristyle 07-30-2005 01:05 PM

Best Paint/Gelcoat Restorer To Use Without Buffer

Just bought an 87 21' Scarab that lived most of it's life in FL and CA. The robin-egg blue paint on the top is moderately faded and I'd like to bring it back a little.

The boat's going to be repainted probably over the winter, but I want to make it look it's best for the remaining boat season here in Annapolis, MD.

What is the best product to use that I can apply by hand. I'm not a big fan of buffers or of wetsanding, and while they will probably give the best results, I'd rather use good ol' fashion elbow grease. :evilb:

I've tried 3M Marine Finish Cleaner/Wax but that dsidn't do all that much. I've also used Meguiars "Deep Crystal System" Step 1 Paint Cleaner which works a little better then the above 3M product.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

On a separate note, I also have several mechanical questions on the Scarab subform that if anyone could help me out I would be thankful. The link is:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=108836

Thanks again in advance for the help

tommymonza 07-30-2005 07:24 PM

Re: Best Paint/Gelcoat Restorer To Use Without Buffer

The color restorer you use to see on TV advertised years ago and i think you can buy at walmart or any large auto store works for 6 months and is easy to apply.I used it on an old nordic parasail boat that i used in florida and it kept the boat looking shiny and easy to clean for quite a while.I would only recommend this stuff if your planning on repainting because it gets a buildup after a while and starts to look cloudy and needs to be stripped kind of like a floorwax.

woogie 07-30-2005 08:44 PM

Hey Tommy you thinking Penatrol? How you doing btw? Ferraristyle - West Marine has marine Penatrol for $18 and Lowes for $8. The stuff at West is Marine Penatrol - whatever the diff is........ get it off quick before it gets sticky and should get you through to new paint.

cuda 07-30-2005 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I first bought my F20, the brown paint was very faded from time in the Florida sun. I tried all kinds of stuff on it, nothing made much of a difference. Then one day, I was putting some teak sealer on it, and I got some on the side of the boat. When I wiped it off, it left it dark and shiny, so I did the rest of the boat with it. :) It lasts about a month, then after that, I did it with Thompson's Multi Purpose Waterseal. The good thing is, it only takes about ten minutes to do the whole boat. I have since repainted the boat.

lightspeed 07-31-2005 08:20 AM

3M Makes Gel Coat Compound Hi Gloss The Best On The Market But U Have To Use A Machine To Get Best Results

nautiintention 07-31-2005 10:31 AM

Maguire's makes a nice 3 step kit called a heavy oxidation remover kit.

cuda 07-31-2005 10:47 AM

I knew one guy that had a black hulled boat. He'd take a big jar of Vaseline, sit it in the sun, then put it on the boat. :eek:

mikes280 07-31-2005 11:09 AM

303 will bring it back for about 1 month but you can do it in 10 min.

Boomer35 07-31-2005 01:04 PM

Whos used that 3 step kit, how's it work?