Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Budgeting Annual Boat Expenses? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/108914-budgeting-annual-boat-expenses.html)

miamioffshore 07-31-2005 01:07 PM

Budgeting Annual Boat Expenses?

So I'm in looking hard for a Cafe or Gun, and I'm wondering what everyone budgets for the annual costs of operating their boats? I know how much gas costs and that it varies with use, I know what storage is going to cost me and I have a pretty good idea on insurance. Other than those what should I plan on for maintenance/repairs/ upkeep? Is there a general rule of thumb? Just wondering what I should plan on setting aside per month ?

BGIII 07-31-2005 01:09 PM

Re: Budgeting Annual Boat Expenses?

Your whole paycheck.

OldSchool 07-31-2005 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by BGIII
Your whole paycheck.

...and then some!!!

drypipetiger 07-31-2005 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
...and then some!!!

Oh ya!

BGIII 07-31-2005 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
...and then some!!!

I didn't want to scare him!! :D

bobonthis 07-31-2005 01:46 PM

B O A T

DollaBill 07-31-2005 01:51 PM

Is this a trick question?? $10,000 a month should cover it.

drypipetiger 07-31-2005 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
Is this a trick question?? $10,000 a month should cover it.

Nothing like a good ole fashion conservative! :D

jayboat 07-31-2005 02:27 PM

Man, I'm just gonna have to start printing money... :eek:

waterheater 07-31-2005 02:31 PM

Budget????:eek:

damdonzi 07-31-2005 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
Forget the budget.

Just plan on staying broke.

And put Fred on your speed-dial. :drink:

GregP 07-31-2005 03:59 PM

For s semi serious answer, I usually go through 5-6k for annual maintenance and upgrades. Some years more, some less, depending on the whim of the boating gods. That doesn't include fuel or insurance.

I saw a guideline somewhere once that you should plan annual costs at 10% of price of the boat, which I think included payments. Oh yes, for a used boat the payments go down, but the maintenance is still about the same % of the cost of the equivalent new one since none of the part costs scale with age.

-Greg

The Menace 07-31-2005 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GregP
I usually go through 5-6k for annual maintenance and upgrades. Some years more, some less, depending on the whim of the boating gods. That doesn't include fuel or insurance.
-Greg

Monthly ownership is usually the least expensive part of boating. It is the ancillary costs associated with operation that prove detrimental to your bank account: maintenance, storage, hauling, insurance, fuel and beer that get you. :rolleyes:

Macklin 07-31-2005 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by GregP
I saw a guideline somewhere once that you should plan annual costs at 10% of price of the boat, which I think included payments.
-Greg

That's about what I have spent the last few years. $100K (round numbers) boat......$10K to keep her dry stored, insured and running. Now that may change at a moments notice if I blow an outdrive or, knock on wood, engine.

And that does not include monthly payments, but if you keep her on a trailer in your yard that will offset those costs.

Donzi Corleone 07-31-2005 04:33 PM

Well, Let me put it this way. Buy the boat in late 2003 premium gas sells for 1.30 a gallon insurance is 3100.00. Now 2 years later gas is 2.49 and the insurance is 6400.00 over a 100% jump in expenses. So, there is no budget. Just have fun and hope nothing breaks (Yeah right).

ratman 07-31-2005 04:34 PM

go budget like i did. 22k for clean 1979 35ft cig on ebay. 3k to get it home
15k for n/a 577s for spares then 60k for a pair of 1000hp blower motors. then ins, gas, crap...i might not have enough coin left for beer n hookers.

Magic Medicine 07-31-2005 06:18 PM

B O A T

Break Out Another Thousand

Noun, a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours money.
:evilb:

ratman 07-31-2005 09:21 PM

i cant wait to only have to buy gas and beer for a while...building the engines is what really hurts the wallet!

AMERICAN BAD A$$ 07-31-2005 09:27 PM

We usually spend around $1000 - $1100 per weekend , but that includes the room which is around $300 . Almost $200 per day in gas but thats running all day , which is what we're doing right now .

ratman 07-31-2005 09:38 PM

yo bada$$ that leaves 500 to 600 for drinks...i like your program :drink: :drink: :drink: RESPEKT

GLH 07-31-2005 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
....what should I plan on for maintenance/repairs/ upkeep?...

I hope your not too attached to your left nut... Literally. :drink:

articfriends 07-31-2005 10:02 PM

I spend 25k a year between gas,payments,insurance,motor and drive parts and it seems every weekend some 300-400$ part still breaks(blower tensioner broke to day). If we could boat year round in michigan I'd go bankrupt,Smitty

BillR 08-01-2005 07:22 AM

Combine all these posts - and you'll be pretty close. :eek: :drink:

gotime34 08-01-2005 07:34 AM

I spend all of my money on the boat, and thats not a joke. Between engines blowing, drives breaking, the price of f*cking gas, and a new part breaking every weekend...it never ends. Yesterday I spent $164.00 just to change the oil, then got out there and snapped a throttle cable, don't even ask. Then you also have Truck and Trailer repairs thrown in there. The problems never end...but I wouldn't spend my money on anything else.

Croozin2 08-01-2005 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by gotime34
but I wouldn't spend my money on anything else.

That's the saying I live by. I don't hunt, fish very little but we live on the water and I don't regret a dollar that I've spent on my boats up to this point. I don't even worry about a budget other than the payments and insurance. Once you get into something with twin Big Blocks, the gas mileage is going to be pretty close unless you have monster power. All of them will hurt your feelings when it's time to fill up. :eek: Get a note you're comfortable with, some solid insurance coverage and take good care of the boat and you won't be disappointed.

Shore Thing 08-01-2005 09:04 AM

There are two steps in boat buying. The first step is having someone you trust survey the boat in question. The second step is calling all your credit card companies and telling them to raise your limits. ;)

Steve_H 08-01-2005 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
So I'm in looking hard for a Cafe or Gun, and I'm wondering what everyone budgets for the annual costs of operating their boats? I know how much gas costs and that it varies with use, I know what storage is going to cost me and I have a pretty good idea on insurance. Other than those what should I plan on for maintenance/repairs/ upkeep? Is there a general rule of thumb? Just wondering what I should plan on setting aside per month ?

what happened to the Bullet you were thinking of buying?

like Greg said, ~6k/year sounds about right.......................................if nothing serious breaks.

NetGain 08-01-2005 09:34 AM

Let's put it this way, you'll be lying to the wife

miamioffshore 08-01-2005 09:44 AM

Steve H:

The bullet I was looking at was sold before I could get up north to look at it.

I would still consider one, but I would have to be turnkey ready, I don't want a project boat.