Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How high can you raise your drives? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109101-how-high-can-you-raise-your-drives.html)

gripit 08-02-2005 02:19 PM

How high can you raise your drives?

How high can you raise your outdrives and run them without hurting them? I am interested in TRS Drives. Thanks

TxHawk 08-02-2005 02:46 PM

Re: How high can you raise your drives?

What is the purpose? Are you wanting to raise them to go through shallow water? At speed there is no reason to raise them a whole lot further than parallel, maybe 2-3 clicks on your indicator, especially in an older TRS Cig. The U Joints will make noise and vibrate, you will feel it.

Let us know why you are asking...

gripit 08-02-2005 06:01 PM

Two reasons, I wanted to know. First is if you want to beach your boat. Shouldn't your raise your drives most of the way? Then you would have to reverse out of the shalow water, until you could lower them at least into 3 foot. Am I right here?
Second, at WOT, I was wondering how high you should raise them to get the most speed? Let me know what you guys think.

OldSchool 08-02-2005 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by gripit
Two reasons, I wanted to know. First is if you want to beach your boat. Shouldn't your raise your drives most of the way? Then you would have to reverse out of the shalow water, until you could lower them at least into 3 foot. Am I right here?
Second, at WOT, I was wondering how high you should raise them to get the most speed? Let me know what you guys think.

Evan,
The best way to do that for top speed is to watch the gps. Alot of boats will slow down while trimmed to the max...but it does look cool!! :D :drink: :D :drink:

lucky strike 08-02-2005 06:07 PM

On the pink flamingo we used to run them out to 5 1/2 or 6. If you look at the speedo at one point when trimmed to much (big rooster tail) the speedo will slow down.

Drives out / tabs up / hammer down :D

LS JR.

gripit 08-02-2005 06:09 PM

Craig, How high can you trim it to the max without doing any damage?
My trim meter goes from 0-9 but then they go even higher. They go all the way up into a trailering position??

Dave M 08-02-2005 07:26 PM

What kind of indicators do you have? I have Gaffrig mech. and the drive is parallel with the bottom at '2'. Anything above '3' I loose speed. I have a bravo drive.

OldSchool 08-02-2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by gripit
Craig, How high can you trim it to the max without doing any damage?
My trim meter goes from 0-9 but then they go even higher. They go all the way up into a trailering position??

Trim it until it makes noise!! :evilb: :evilb:

Really....I have no idea :rolleyes: It's probably not a good idea to raise it too far with the engine running. Can't be good for the U-joints.

gripit 08-02-2005 10:02 PM

I have "kiefenheiger" drive meter.

tizbad4 08-02-2005 10:23 PM

Gripit, It doesn't mater what kind of drive indicator you have watch your gps speed and raise them a number on the scale at a time remember to weight for the gps to get a signal then repeat until top speed is achieved, back off one notch when speed falls. all boats are different.