Notices

More Non-Thinkers on their boats

Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Non-Thinkers on their boats

Clear Lake, Tx.

Middle of the day along the South Shore channel in front of Waterford Harbor. Its a fairly busy place with multiple access points to deveral small marinas and right between the main channel entrance and larger South Shore Harbor marina. There was a Mom / Dad in their mid 30's driving their 23' runabout pulling two smallish ( 8 - 10 yo's) boys on a donut right up the middle of the channel. With all the larger boats including the comercial party boats that leave out of So Shore it just looked like n accident waiting to happen. I steered waay clear of them and went on my way hoping not to see the Big Red Life Flight helicopter from the Hermann Trauma Center fly by.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 AM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Every day occurence on the river around here. It seems that more and more folks want to play in the main channel at the busiest part of the day. Weaving back and forth across the channel causing all sorts of problems.

Last weekend we were going to pass a couple pulling some children on a tube. I gave a horn blast to try and advise them of my intentions. Just as I was getting up along side them, the driver cut right across my path. I had to quickly back off and make a pretty hard turn to avoid the tube. Had I not been paying attention, I would have killed them.

The guy then has the sack to flip me off? There are plenty of larger coves around the area to take this kind of thing. Why people want to endanger their kids by doing it in the channel during the busiest part of the weekend is beyond me.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup they all play in the middle of the lake around me. I may start to work through the weekends and go up durring the week soon if it continues all summer.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Idiots.

We were out on Saturday cruising through the upper-west part of our bay. It's shallow, and the channels snake around all over the place, you have to know what's up to navigate this area. The channel we're in is maybe 50' wide at most and on either side are sandbars. Needless to say it can be hairy at some times, especially in the horseshoe turns. Well, there's this idiot trying to pull some children on a tube in the middle of said channel right smack in the middle of one of these horseshoe turns. And on a weekend, it gets busy. I couldn't believe the stupidity of this guy pulling kids in this location.

Common sense is extinct. Oblivious disregard is flourishing.

Last edited by CigDaze; 07-30-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

That's SOP (standard operating proceedure) for Lake Norman. That's why I go out on the week days & the few weekends I'm at home I rarely go out & if I do gout it's only for an hour or so.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Gentlemen,
You are so right! "An accident waiting to happen" We have the same problem here in Florida. The problem is that the Manatee Club as posted Sloooooow Speed Zones everywhere except the channels. We now not only have to look out for the manatee's but the people trying to ski and wake board.

Not a good conbination!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Dail
Old 07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You know who will get the blame when there is an accident!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to Daytona Sat. and put in at Halifax. On my way south to the inlet/disappearing island, there was a slew of boats literally clogging the channel. They were either shrimping or bait fishing (they were using nets) At least 30 boats. Going a few inches outside of a channel down here can be disasterous, but we had no choice. Couldn't even idle our way through there if we wanted to. And they were doing the same thing in the Inlet as well. Very narrow channel and there they were along with dumas jet ski people. And I get the dirty looks????
Old 07-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SANLEONKID
Clear Lake, Tx.

Middle of the day along the South Shore channel in front of Waterford Harbor. Its a fairly busy place with multiple access points to deveral small marinas and right between the main channel entrance and larger South Shore Harbor marina. There was a Mom / Dad in their mid 30's driving their 23' runabout pulling two smallish ( 8 - 10 yo's) boys on a donut right up the middle of the channel. With all the larger boats including the comercial party boats that leave out of So Shore it just looked like n accident waiting to happen. I steered waay clear of them and went on my way hoping not to see the Big Red Life Flight helicopter from the Hermann Trauma Center fly by.

I am sick and tired of boating in Clear lake. More and more people that act like fools and all the large cruisers creating tsunamis.Try running up Clear creek with all the skiers in a 50' wide channel. I spend all my time in the bay or tied up in the cove. Sometimes i just run to out riggers have lunch and go home. I miss boating in La. Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
I am sick and tired of boating in Clear lake. More and more people that act like fools and all the large cruisers creating tsunamis.Try running up Clear creek with all the skiers in a 50' wide channel. I spend all my time in the bay or tied up in the cove. Sometimes i just run to out riggers have lunch and go home. I miss boating in La. Sorry for the rant.
I don't know why they can't take their wave runners, tubes, skis, and wakeboards and go over to Taylor Lake. Besides the main lake, if they can fit under the Red Bluff bridge, there is an area that is perfect for all of these activities. I tend to keep my boat at slow speeds in Taylor Lake and respect the waverunners and skiers because that is where they should be. This is a great area for them.They should not be in the main channels. Someone is gonna get killed.

Quick Reply: More Non-Thinkers on their boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.