Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Docking in Southern Florida (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109374-docking-southern-florida.html)

csmall 08-05-2005 01:57 PM

Docking in Southern Florida

I am thinking about taking my Formula 400ss south for the winter. I have never boated down there and a friend told me to go to Ft. Lauderdale. What I am looking for is a convenient airport and a slip / marina facilities that I could fly down and spend the weekend on the boat.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a good marina that would do a several month lease or a 1/2 year lease?

Maritime_Eng 08-05-2005 07:48 PM

Re: Docking in Southern Florida

csmall-

I did the same thing last year but over on the west coast in Fort Myers. It was a lot of fun. Just be careful becasue you will want to move down here. Or at least that is what happened to me! I made about three trips down and decided to sell the house in MN and move to warmer weather!

Now just to give a little info to help you out. If a marina will not do it you might want to look in the local papers for a private slip to rent. I know a lot of people over here rent out their slips (behind their house) to people from out of town.

Good Luck!
Don

hugetime1 08-05-2005 10:24 PM

I got a lift, but it is only a 10k lift, other wise I would let you use it, maybe I will see you down there this winter.....

Payton 08-06-2005 06:52 AM

Mindi Dollar has advertised her place on here. I know they are in FT Lauderdale.
Sounds like a great plan

csmall 08-06-2005 01:54 PM

Any thoughts on Atlantic side of Florida over the Gulf coast side? How is the Tampa area compared to the Ft. Lauderdale area?

enticer 08-06-2005 10:01 PM

Gulf side is better and boater friendlier.....got a rack and launch in Cape Coral, but only up to a 38 footer

Little Tommy 08-06-2005 10:39 PM

Harbor town in Dania, 5 mins from Ft Lauderdale airport. Full service marina with in/out service. Also have large slips for cruisers. We kept our apache there this past winter and were VERY happy with them. They do month to month leases. Give me a call and I can give you details......LT 262-206-7068

csmall 08-08-2005 09:19 PM

How does Sarasota or Naples compare to Ft. Lauderdale?

Or Tampa / Clearwater?

kickin32 08-09-2005 01:54 PM

hello how much do you get to rent the slips out behind your houses thanks

enticer 08-09-2005 02:12 PM

kickin32 Who are addressing this statement too?

tinydancer 08-09-2005 07:20 PM

I have a 40ft. slip in a gated marina that is for rent. Marina is in Aventura right on the bay.. if you want more details email me
[email protected]

kickin32 08-09-2005 07:38 PM

it was too dgduck13 and enticer and who ever knows about any other ones thanks

BZ 08-09-2005 07:40 PM

My buddy has a place in Clearwater beach (Island Estates) with an open slip behind his house. If you are interested I can ask him.....I have boated on both sides of Fl. I like the gulf side better. Just my opinion.....BZ

blume 08-09-2005 08:00 PM

Grove Harbour, in Miami on west bank of Biscayne Bay,305-854-6444 ask for Alan.
Spinnaker Marina, at Lip-Ship and T-N-T marine on the north end of Biscayne Bay, 305-944-2118
Sunny Isles Marina, in Sunny Isles, Nice, on north Biscayne Bay on the barrier island, 305-944-9182
Hideaway Marina in Pompano, 954-943-3200
Marina Mar in Fort Lauderdale next to Shooters #?

enticer 08-09-2005 08:02 PM

I have a boat rack in a facilty called the Sandpiper Yacht Club, used to be called Mid Island Marina it is for boats up to 38' long and as short as 20'
14' wide and 11' 6" high and it is available.....rent includes in and outs (unlimited) with flush outs of drive and motors and boat wash down

csmall 08-09-2005 08:24 PM

Great Info! A few of the marina's will be out since my boat is 40' foot long. The good thing is I have plenty off winters to try out all of these locations suggested.

I think I will try the east coast side to try a few runs out the the Bahamas. Has anyone made the journey?

358player 08-09-2005 08:30 PM

I have to second Harbortowne Marina. We have kept our boat there for the past two winter seasons and could not have been happier.

Also, don't count on a Bahama run over the winter, Gulf Stream can beat you up unless you get real lucky. You may want to extend your stay to late spring / early summer to make the run.