Notices

Chine Walk

Old 08-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chine Walk

Anyone Ever Cure/help Chine Walk @ Top Speed ? My 29 Enticer Pq Twin 7.4 310 Mpi Bravo 1 25 Pitch 3 Blade Is Brutal @ High Speed. I Have 12x12 Insta Trim Now And Am Looking @ Victory 12x19 Tabs. Victory Also Has 12x23. I Made A Cut Out Template And @ Level Position With The Hull And The Drive Turned All The Way To Right Or Left In Full Out Position Trim It Looks Like It May Hit The Prop Especially If I Lower The Tabs. The 19" Looks Like No Problem. Anyone Upgrade To These Tabs ? Are The Results Worth It? 4 Blade Props Will Help But Will Need Better Trim Tabs Also.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

Default Re: Chine Walk

It could be a couple of problems. Check your steering first. Hydralic dual ram is the best if you are running over 70. Could be a deep drive or a bottom design that was not ment to go to the speeds you are doing. Dave
Old 08-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are The Motors Stock? If So You Should Not Be Reaching Enough Speed To Cause A Brutal Chine Walk. 4 Blade Props May Worsen The Condition. We Had The Same Thing Happen On My Brothers 27 Wellcraft W Twins. He Tried All Kinds Of Witchcraft And Nothing Worked. I Came Over To Take A Look And Discovered That The Steering Was Loose And Worn (non- External) And His Drives Were Toed Out 3/4 Inch. This Made The Boat Very Hard To Control And The Loose Steering Wasnt Obvious At The Helm. After Tightening What Could Be Tightened And Re Setting The Toe, The Problem Went Away. Hope You Find The Problem.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PQ's do have a tendency to chine walk at WOT. Sorry, but it's a fact. Mine has 280 K planes which make a world of difference. Have you indexed your tabs to determine where they are level with the hull? You should lower them to that point, at least, when the boat starts to walk. That stops it on mine.

I would look at K planes if you are thinking of changing tabs.

Last edited by Macklin; 08-07-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Registered

The Tab Indicators Are Marked So I Know When They Are Level With The Hull , But It Still Does It. Funny Thing Is Not All The Time Of Course It Depends On The Water Conditions And Wind. I Think That The Tabs Are Way Too Short And Don't Have Enough Surface Hitting The Water. sometimes By Lowering The Tabs Below Level With The Hull It Has A Positve Effect Correcting This. The Engines Are Stock. This Usually Occurs @ Around 65 Mph +. Julie From Throttle Up Said To Go With 4 Blade 24 Pitch Props TO GET THE TRANSOM LIFT AND STOP THE BOW SEARCHING. The Engines Rev 4200rpm Flat Water And 4400 Rpm With A Chop @ Full Throttle with the 25 pitch 3 blade. I Think The Rpm Is A Little On The Low Side. As Far As The Steering It Is Stock And May Have Some Play. The Boat Has A Great Cruising Ability But I Need To Know When I Hit Full Throttle I'm Not Going To Lose Some Passangers Or My Self. K-planes Are Probably The Way To Go $$$ Any Good Deals Out There. Thank you to all
Old 08-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

My boat chine walks a lot with a 3 blade prop. I switched to a 4 blade and it made a big difference.

I have k-planes. Although they could be used to control chine walk, I can run the 4 blade with the tabs all the way up and it doesn't walk like it does with the 3 blade.

As far as steering, my boat came with a single ram add-on. I've since completed the system to the helm. It definitly helps control the boat with a lot less steering input.

On my boat, between the prop, tabs, and steering, I think the prop made the most difference when it comes to chine walk.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I may have been a little too negative in my last post. It's just that it's taken seat time to learn how to confidently drive this boat....being my first twin engine boat. I don't know how much seat time you have in yours. That's key to getting the feel of the boat. I also recommend you try some 4 bladers. Throttle Up has an excellent loaner program.

FYI, I guess I'm now comfortable enough to run with the cowboys. We had our HRPA poker run yesterday. Local run with no big dogs....at least this year. 50 plus boats. Although it's 'not a race' I was the fifth boat to the first card stop. Number four.....Vyper340. The PQ's did well yesterday!

Last edited by Macklin; 08-07-2005 at 05:56 PM.