Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   anyone ever do some prop dreging? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109457-anyone-ever-do-some-prop-dreging.html)

Lmarth 08-07-2005 04:13 PM

Re: anyone ever do some prop dreging?

I've got a fairly large Hydro-Hoist on a bay that gets a lot of silt/mud buildup. What I do in the Fall and/or Spring is rig a couple of 3/4 hp De-Icers that rest on the bottom and blow out the slip over time. They're not cheap and it takes time, but it definitely works. I'm not the first or only person on the Bay to be doing this. Moving water can do amazing things. I mailed pictures of the rig I designed to Strip Poker 388. He said he wanted to see pictures of anything having to do with 'bottoms'!

jayboat 08-07-2005 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by eMotiondriver
Go back and forth with an old metel box spring. :drink:

I was gonna post this! I works like a charm. :evilb:

woogie 08-07-2005 04:55 PM

Lots of folks do it here . A 42 SeaRay will clear a path quite quickly. Guy here used to use a Sonic with 551 Hawks - did quite well so should be no prob with your Cig. Best to do it on a weekday....

thedonz 08-07-2005 05:23 PM

LMAO....never heard of such a thing.....make sure DERM and the US Army Corp of Engineers don't get a whif of what you plan on doing.....

offthefront 08-07-2005 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lmarth
I've got a fairly large Hydro-Hoist on a bay that gets a lot of silt/mud buildup. What I do in the Fall and/or Spring is rig a couple of 3/4 hp De-Icers that rest on the bottom and blow out the slip over time. They're not cheap and it takes time, but it definitely works. I'm not the first or only person on the Bay to be doing this. Moving water can do amazing things. I mailed pictures of the rig I designed to Strip Poker 388. He said he wanted to see pictures of anything having to do with 'bottoms'!

do you have to move em over time ? Or can you set em up at the front of the slip and let em run to blow the slip out ?

dykstra 08-07-2005 06:05 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

offthefront 08-07-2005 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by McGary911
I've dredged my slip for my 34' Silverton. Just tied it up, bow in, extra ropes to the poles off the stern......just idled in gear for about 20 minutes.....We had plenty of depth after that. Doing it slowly, on a fast incoming tide allowed the current to disperse the "fill" very nicely, so i wasnt building a lump outside of my slip. What you're trying is like what i did X 20. Good luck.....and yeah, vid and pics would be cool.

you weren't worried about moving the pilings ? My slip silts up ....I have used a pump to blow it out ...

CigBoat 08-07-2005 07:38 PM

Some people got together and did that on a private island (jewfish key) off of long boat key here last year and the tree huggers caught them! They had a boat doing it at night so they would not get caught but it did not work. The boat was seized the guy who did the dredging is in jail and all the homeowners are facing jail time and huge fines! I would not reccomend this but if you do I would not use the cig if you dont want to lose it!

ratman 08-07-2005 07:38 PM

i hink its best to do on the weekend as the nieghbors are cool with it and the city employees are drinking beer or sleeping it off

Lmarth 08-08-2005 05:52 AM

Offthefront- I know some people that mount them and leave them on. I move them 4-6 feet after letting them eat for a few days. This last winter, I left them at the rear crossmember of my hoist all Winter. Maybe had 5-6 feet when I started, nine feet in the spring. I'm sure there are a lot of ways to mount them. I've been doing it for five years now. The hoist moves and the bottom surface of your slip will drop so you have allow them to drop for best results. PM me an address and I'll send you some photos I just got back from Strip