Notices

EBay - Good, Bad, Ugly?

Old 08-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBay - Good, Bad, Ugly?

Hi all,

Looking for those with experience selling boats on Ebay. I have been selling computer parts and buying there for years, but never considered selling anything like a boat. I basically want to move my boat quickly and at a favorable price for the buyer. Any info is appreciated.

It's either that or send it to a dealer/broker.

Thanks

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-4248.html
Old 08-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Registered

Default Re: EBay - Good, Bad, Ugly?

I had my old boat on Ebay, even though it didn't hit the reservse on auction I did sell it to a person that saw it there. If anything it will get you some good advertisment!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Registered

I believe Cord just sold his thru eBay
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yep, I just sold my boat on ebay. I actually got what I wanted for it too! What really amazed me was the response. I put the ad up on Friday and had a few hits, but not much traffic. I got a couple of e-mails but only from tire kickers. I then put a link to the auction on the Hot Boat site and was hammered with interest. I had two members from Hot Boat that WANTED the boat! Another member from this board was very serious about it. The question of who bought the boat came down to seconds. Apparently one person was about to hit the buy-it-now when the auction ended from another member hitting the same button. In the mean time I had the third buyer thinking that he had it already tied up (he failed to mention wanting to buy the boat)!

For 9 months I've been trying to sell this thing. I had nothing more than one tire kicker and a couple of dead end questions. I think the difference was the auction. People could no longer be a tire kicker, if they were they would loose out on the deal. Me giving the boat away proably helped things too.

Either way it'll be over soon. The survey was this past week and the boat passed. The survey was the only escape clause that I gave the buyer. You'll note that my auction listed the sale as not being conditional on the survey, but the buyer asked and we were able to hammer out the terms before they ended the auction. I was very concerned about somebody buying the boat and then wanting to nitpick it for every little defect.

When it comes to ebay, I am a believer that too much information is just short of the correct amount. I tried to get pics of everything on the listing. I even included the title and build sheets. I wasn't too concerned about somebody trying to copy the title. What I wanted to do was proove that this listing was legit. That always adds value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESO%3AIT

Last edited by Cord; 08-08-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Registered

I sold my 1969 nova ss on e-bay a awhile back and had no problems, im sure selling your boat should be easy, hundreds of people will see it on there, good luck!!!!!!!