Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Thanks Mr. Gadgets (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109641-thanks-mr-gadgets.html)

PatriYacht 08-09-2005 10:33 AM

Thanks Mr. Gadgets

After three years of poker runs, a couple of trips across Lake Michigan and a lot of fast running The Black Thunder ate an outdrive at the Leopa Poker Run. My first instinct on the idle back from Toledo to Monroe, was to call the local marina and try to get it in fast. Then visions of lots of dollars leaving my wallet started going through my head. There had to be another way of getting this thing fixed. I remembered that all the west Michigan guys swore by this guy named Dick Tryce, also known as Mr Gadgets on the board.

To make a long story short, I took the outdrive to Dick yesterday after work. He had it apart in about 15 minutes (he could do it blindfolded I'm sure) and found the problem. A broken thrust washer had rotated around and stacked itself under the gear preventing the clutch from engaging properly. Dick replaced the thrust washer and the bearing that rode on it and reassembled the drive and asked me if $100.00 was ok. Yea and a hundred dollar tip too! I can't say how impressed I was with the way Dick handled my repair. Not to metion his clean shop (air conditioned even)and all the correct tools. He has great upgrades for Bravos too. I reccomend Mr Gadgets to anyone who needs Bravo work done.

onesickpantera 08-09-2005 10:47 AM

Re: Thanks Mr. Gadgets

I second that!!! Dick helped me out with a leaking seal on my Blackhawk. Every marina close to me wanted 2-3 times the $$$ to fix it and at least a 2 week wait. I took my drive off and drove to his shop and drove back with it fixed and out boating the following day! :D

MnFastBoat 08-09-2005 11:12 AM

I third that and i have never even been to his shop :(
He has helped me out a couple times just by his posting on here.

People and service like that needs to be recognized and applauded.
Glad to hear you were able to get it back and running again for the weekend.
Our boating days are getting numbered and we all need the most of them

Wally 08-09-2005 11:37 AM

Ive talked to Dick on the phone twice so far and he has been great just from me asking questions! He even called me back once while he was on the way to the hospital!!! :eek: Hows that for customer service!!! I still need to get my drive over to him to give it a check up....hopefully one day soon Dick, if i ever get a chance to start working on my project again! :D

ClassCig38 08-09-2005 12:46 PM

Hi Ian and Donna! Whew, first starting reading your post and was relieved to see that all is well again. Yes, again, the OSO family never ceases to amaze :drink:

Haven't seen/read from Donna. Hope all is well. Tell her the T-dock chicks all say Hello! We will toast to your good fortune at our Venetian Nite at Hammond Marina this weekend. Take care. Spill the Cracker Jack :D

Patti

Milord 08-09-2005 01:49 PM

I've met Dick on 2 differnt occasions and he's first class all the way. I wouldn't hesitate if I had drive problems, I'm bringing them to Dick!

PatriYacht 08-09-2005 02:26 PM

Hi Patti, nice to hear from you. Have fun at the Venetian Night. We'll be at the record raft up on Lake Saint Clair this weekend. Say hi to the gang for us, Ian

pb 08-09-2005 02:47 PM

I concur.

I have never met Dick, but he has taken time to discuss some drive concerns after I pulled an idiot move while winterizing.

Thanks again!!

Paul

KAAMA 08-09-2005 03:19 PM

My XR's have been blue printed, and assembled by Mr.Gadgets/Dick. He paid a heavy price over the years to know what he knows on those drives through trial, and error on his own stuff. His shop is very clean, and organized and I have always gotten good service from him. :)

candyman35 08-09-2005 03:26 PM

I have heard only great things about Dick. He is at the top of my list for drive issues.

Ian,
Glad it was $imple. Make sure to take lots of pictures this weekend. Have fun! :drink:
Dan