Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   496 mods! what works? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109698-496-mods-what-works.html)

Whassup 08-09-2005 08:35 PM

496 mods! what works?

I am looking to add 100-125hp to my 496HO what reliable mods can be done! is it possible?
-CMI Headers?
-Raylars Heads?
-Cam?
-ECU re program?
-Intake?
What can I realistically expect and how much will it cost, I don't want to get in to deep, I would like to stay around 5-6k if possible

offthefront 08-09-2005 08:40 PM

Re: 496 mods! what works?

I would talk to Raylar ....they have done the most work/research on the 496's ....

mwdill 08-09-2005 08:44 PM

Raylar,
their kits cost about 5k,for about 100-120hp

Steve Zuckerman 08-09-2005 10:07 PM

Whipple is now offering some interesting mods for the 496 www.whipplesuperchargers.com .
They also make a slick 2.3 Whipple Charger package for these motors. A friend here picked up a reliable 13/14 MPH on a 288 Sunsation/496Mag setup. I think Dustin still has 2.3s.
Regards,
Steve

Sydwayz 08-09-2005 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
CMI Headers.
All with no internal modification to the motor and no violation of warranty.

Fred, I hate to be a stickler, but can you show this to me in writing? (No void of warranty that is.) I am fighting Mercury already on two issues of their equipment failing. Its not a pretty situation. I don't want to make this routine. However, one of my motors will need to come out, and this would be an ideal time to install the headers.

Raylar 08-10-2005 09:00 AM

Whassup:
PM me or call toll free @ 866-496-8181 and I can give you quite a few customers of our 100 hp kits who you can call and actually talk to about the results of our kits for the 496's. You can add headers on top of the kits and get to a reliable 550HP level, just more bucks!

Ray @ Raylar

Whassup 08-10-2005 02:41 PM

Thanks guys keep the ideas coming, I was going to put on a whipple but I heard there not available, Procharge is not for me to many issues with them on a few boats I know about. Also the blower noise isn't my wife favorite! I was thinking, cam, Heads and exhaust. But I don't want to waste my money if the gains arn't there for the money. I will just do exhaust and cam or cam and heads ect:::Do the cmi really work has anyone on here used them. that can verify real world>
Thanks

Brian C 08-10-2005 03:03 PM

I put a Whipple on mine last summer & love it. Turn key & go. It doesn't make any noise until up above 4,500 rpms. It's a very nice set up. It was good for 11mph on gps & that's on a heavy sled Sonic.

Steve Zuckerman 08-10-2005 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Whassup
Thanks guys keep the ideas coming, I was going to put on a whipple but I heard there not available, Procharge is not for me to many issues with them on a few boats I know about. Also the blower noise isn't my wife favorite! I was thinking, cam, Heads and exhaust. But I don't want to waste my money if the gains arn't there for the money. I will just do exhaust and cam or cam and heads ect:::Do the cmi really work has anyone on here used them. that can verify real world>
Thanks

Whassup:
I am not Dustin Whipple, but maybe I can help you out with something.............the Lysholm/Whipple 3.3 litre blower IS in short supply due to Mercury buying them for 600s, 850s, and 1075s. Ford is also using the 3.3 on the GT. Mercury and Ford do seem to have eaten up most of Lysholm's 3.3 blower production capacity.
The Lysholm/Whipple 2.3 litre blower IS NOT in short supply, and that is the blower Whipple uses for your 496. They also have several naturally aspirated mod kits for your 496. Click on their web address I provided above and check it out.
Regards,
Steve

Whassup 08-10-2005 08:44 PM

Thanks Steve, I had put a post a month or so ago about putting on a whipple and was told I couldn't get one. The second question is if I whipple it do I have to put on k-Planes, Build my drive, and put external steering on. Thats adds $$$$
Has onyone put a whipple on a 288 sunsation does it fit without moving seat ect?