Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109893-ilmor-mv-10s-how-do-they-sound.html)

tamburello 08-11-2005 08:20 PM

Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?

I've been impressed by what I've heard about Ilmor 550 and 625 Viper V-10's and I was wondering how they sound, especially in a single engine rig. I've heard a Viper GTS at the track with headers and race pipes and an Advantage with dual 550's and they both sounded very nice.

Does anyone have an audio file of the Ilmors or a video with sound of the V-10's running?

- Jeff

Brad Zastrow 08-11-2005 08:25 PM

Re: Ilmor MV-10's, how do they sound?

I have heard the Ilmors and they sound real nice. I own a Viper with aftermarket pipes and it has a very hot sound at higher rpm. The only thing that sounds better is a high strung V12.

Outdrive1 08-11-2005 08:26 PM

They sound funny, no lope, smooth running and not very loud. I wasn't impressed with the sound. Sounded like wimpy small blocks. I haven't heard them at WOT. Only idling.

Hydrocruiser 08-11-2005 08:35 PM

They kind of sound like a UPS truck taking off...that's no kidding.

The sound is ok but more like a 5 cylinder than a V-10....but the torque is unbeatble.

It aint fancy tech stuff but lots and lots of cubic inches. With a reliable drive probably a great set-up. All I keep hearing are the words "Illmor Viper" and "reliability" in the same sentence.

Illmor is down the street from me..I have stopped by a few times...top drawer company and the reps say they are there if you need service. I have not heard otherwise.

CAVelocity 08-11-2005 09:20 PM

The firing order of the V-10's is completely different than a V8. So at idle there is no lope like a V8. I have spent several runs next to some Ilmor equipped boats and they sound good at speed.... but it is a completely different sound.... almost like a tractor, but in a good way. Like previously said, nothing idles like a healty V8 with a big cam though. I have heard nothing but good things from the people that I know with Ilmors, FWIW.

Formula Outlaw 08-11-2005 09:23 PM

Listening to race boats using those motors I thought they sounded more like an "Indy" car, as oppposed to V-8 Nascar motors. Of course this was when the boats were running at speed. Have not heard one idle.

MarkSmith 08-11-2005 11:11 PM

I was in Shogren's new MTI and was very impressed on the torque. As for the sound, my phone rang at 90mph and I answered the phone and had a normal conversation. It was nice for a change. The thing that impressed me the most is that the MTI only burned a 1/4 tank of gas averaging between 90-110 mph for a 90 mile poker run. Great fuel economy is something that everyone will like to have. With our gov't allowing prices to rise like they have been, usage of petroleum will continue until it hits $3/gal., which is right around the corner.

Mark

tiufb 08-12-2005 12:12 AM

I think they sound better in the boats than in the cars. The 625s are snappier are throatier than the 550s. The idle is a little strange because they are so smooth, but at upper rpm they have a sort of wail to them somewhere between a V8 and a V12 just like you would imagine a V10 would.

candyman35 08-12-2005 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by MarkSmith
I was in Shogren's new MTI and was very impressed on the torque. As for the sound, my phone rang at 90mph and I answered the phone and had a normal conversation. It was nice for a change. The thing that impressed me the most is that the MTI only burned a 1/4 tank of gas averaging between 90-110 mph for a 90 mile poker run. Great fuel economy is something that everyone will like to have. With our gov't allowing prices to rise like they have been, usage of petroleum will continue until it hits $3/gal., which is right around the corner.

Mark

I got a ride in the same MTI and was very impressed with the torque. The engines were very quiet at 100+. I think when I re-power they my be the way I go. Fuel economy works for me.
Dan

jdnca1 08-12-2005 07:27 AM

I heard a boat pass with (2) of them at the cumberland poker run last year and I though it sounded like a Ferrari. A High pitched wail as someone else stated.