Advice appreciated, new purchase >

Advice appreciated, new purchase

Notices

Advice appreciated, new purchase

Old 08-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice appreciated, new purchase

I have recently moved to Miami and have been considering a performance boat. I've grown up driving lake boats so will be moving up in size. My budget is about $75k. I've been considering a Fountain 29 Fever as an entry level. I still like the idea of a single engine but want something big enough for these new waters. For use around Miami, up to Lauderdale, down to they keys etc, I would appreciate some thoughts. I also like the look of the Formula 292 fastech. Any comments on how these boats compare would be useful. My wife will not be thrilled if I get something too fast (I like fast) with no comfort etc so this needs to be kept in mind. Performance and handling will be important. Are there any years on the 29 fever to be avoided? I've found a few 2000's a like in my price range. Is 29 ft enough for these waters or should I be considering low 30's? All comments and thoughts would be appreciated as I am new to these waters and this class of boat. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Advice appreciated, new purchase

take a look at the Pantera 28 before making a decision, you may want to drop by the factory in North Miami and have a look around, talk to Jo or Pepe, they are always willing to answer any questions you may have......I'm sure they can even hook you up for a test ride on one of their boats or fellow OSOers' boats....you need a good handling offshore boat for waters around here.......
Old 08-13-2005, 04:23 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with TRICK.
Running in those waters, and the distances you want to run, TWINS is a must.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:34 AM
Registered

I'd say minimal low 30' foot range. Best advice is to get out on boats in the waters you plan to boat and get a feel for how well the various length boats will handle. Everyone has a different opinion on how well something rides and performs. Check out http://www.speedboatrides.com/ in Ft. Lauderdale for starters and I'm sure there must be other guys out there doing the same thing to give you a feel for the ocean.

Good luck!!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 29" Fountain will be faster than the Formula. The Formula will give you the better ride. Some boats are simply measured different from others. Find out of the swim platform is included in the advertised length. I believe the 292 is a true 29' boat. the Fountain 29' is a 27' running surface.

Good luck and welcome to OSO
Old 08-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Registered

Down there? I would'nt look at anything under 35........Those waters are always up,,,,,,,,,Lots of wind down there..Everytime I go down there its blowing..
Old 08-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Registered

I agree, get the biggest you can afford, haul & store with twins. Size matters in the ocean/rough & twins is a must. Good Luck.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Registered

I see your looking at used boats. You could buy a new 30' Superboat for somewhere at your price range with a 496Ho that will do 74 mph. Something to consider. Here's the like to his website and a couple pics. http://superboatonline.com/
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Advice appreciated, new purchase-bay-ride-026-medium-.jpg   Advice appreciated, new purchase-superboat-delivery-011-small-.jpg  
Old 08-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Registered

Thanks to all of you for your advice. It sounds like I definitely need twins. I will check out suggested boats and websites. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Registered

You might want to see where the oil prices go before you decide. Over $3.00 gal out here. Of course it's only $$$$$

Quick Reply: Advice appreciated, new purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.