Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Top Gun Crash at Metro Beach (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109963-top-gun-crash-metro-beach.html)

Nealzy 08-13-2005 06:51 PM

Re: Top Gun Crash at Metro Beach

That is just crazy that a boat could do all they said. How fast would a 9000 lb boat have to go to do an Evil Kaneval stunt like that?
Hope everyone gets well soon.

Another bad day for the high perf. boating community.
Hey, at least this time when they said it was a cigarette boat, they got it right! :(

dockrocker 08-13-2005 08:27 PM

News story from the local paper - much more detail. Says blood samples were taken for analysis, might be a few weeks for results. No word on breathalyzer.

Click here for the Macomb Daily story.

Hydrocruiser 08-13-2005 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by dockrocker
News story from the local paper - much more detail. Says blood samples were taken for analysis, might be a few weeks for results. No word on breathalyzer.

Click here for the Macomb Daily story.

The amount of time it takes to analyze a blood sample according to a Cardiologist who lives next door is about an hour at any hospital of forensic lab. Easy test done routinely and you can't leave a blood sample laying around as it could affect results.

You can expect charges to be filed and a few lawsuits as well. The owner has deep pockets...

bouyhunter 08-13-2005 10:23 PM

OK, I side tracked this thread once, and now I'm gonna do it again.
Dockrocker posted the link to the news article about this incident.
It listed every speeding ticket he ever had, as well as one time he didn't have a D.L. on him.
That was my point earlier. Too much law, and too much judge and jury based on history.

Honestly, I hope all involved are recovering well.

dockrocker 08-13-2005 10:39 PM

bouyhunter, I thought the same thing - who gives a **** about what the guy does for a living, or that he had a speeding ticket in 1998? I mean, if the guy has 28 prior DUI convictions, yeah, that might be relevent, but an 7 or 8 year old speeding ticket? C'mon.....

Hydrocruiser 08-13-2005 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by dockrocker
bouyhunter, I thought the same thing - who gives a **** about what the guy does for a living, or that he had a speeding ticket in 1998? I mean, if the guy has 28 prior DUI convictions, yeah, that might be relevent, but an 7 or 8 year old speeding ticket? C'mon.....

They look for patterns of negligence....anything really...to convict on or get money out of...he looks pretty clean...just bad judgement yesterday...bigtime.

Good darn thing the boat didn't slam into one of those oak trees that are all over the park with the occupants in the boat..

Bill272 08-14-2005 08:41 AM

Somebody asked why would anyone be driving that fast at night. Again just a rumor I heard at the raft yesterday, say the USCG or the sheriff flashed their lights at him and his choice is to stop and get busted for sure, or hit the sticks knowing his boat is 3 times faster than anything law enforcement has. He also lives on the Black Creek which is the river that goes through Metro Beach from the lake. I'd bet if he made it around the point, he was going to go WOT down that mile of no wake all the way to his lift.

Interceptor 08-14-2005 09:19 AM

Anyone who boats near Metro knows that you do not drive close to shore near the point. It is very shallow, there are rocks and cement on the bottom and the area near the entrance is no-wake.
Fortunatly the park was closed or closing and no one was out near the point on shore or a horrible tragedy could have occured.

ed

CMG 08-14-2005 10:06 AM

"The speed of the boat vaulted it more than 9 feet high, over a guardrail along a hike/bike path, before it slammed to the ground about 50 feet from the water's edge. From there, it slid about 30 yards, missing a large oak tree by a few inches and a second tree by a few feet."

I figured the sensationalism from the media would come down to earth - 50' not 100' (still amazing though!)

anyone else catch this explanation of what a cigarette boat is from the tv station? talk about boating for dummies -
http://www.boatsafe.com/kids/cigboat.htm

Ms PatriYacht 08-14-2005 11:00 AM

Does anyone know if that is the new Cig parked next to the Black Thunder across from the park we did not see it there all weekend, It is a shame they lived so close and had the money, why not taxi home.

Does anyone own their own breathalyzer, I see them for sale on the internet, I was wondering if they are as accurate as the ones the police carried. I know that .25 is high but each year the limit gets lower and lower, I am afraid that just one or two drinks can put you over. I am to the point I want to start carrying one around in my purse! I am sure I have been over the limit and never even knew or felt it.