Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110453-boaters-feeling-pinch-high-gasoline-prices.html)

CAP071 08-18-2005 05:09 PM

Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices

http://kywnewsradio.com/news_story_d...wsitemid=48686

Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices

by KYW's Paul Kurtz
Motorists aren't the only ones suffering from high gasoline prices these days. Boating enthusiasts are having trouble paying for their pleasure outings, too.

Boat traffic has been going down all summer as gas prices have gone up. They're now in the $3 range -- about 40 cents more than what motorists pay.

Don Zeuner lives on a gas-powered yacht and says pleasure boating isn't what it used to be:

"They're just motel rooms now. That's about all they use them for. If they take them to Maryland, they leave 'em in their slip. They drive to Maryland and stay on the boat. Some of the guys have a smaller boat just so they can go out. They can't afford to go out on the bigger boat."

As gasoline prices rise, the government has been reluctant to speak out. But KYW special contributor Larry Kane reports that there is a precedent.

In the early '60s, President Kennedy -- fearful of horrible inflation -- took on the steel industry, pressuring steel leaders to lower prices. Similar moves were taken by other presidents with commercial aviation and other industries.

In the current march to higher inflation fueled by oil and gasoline prices, there has been tepid reaction from the Energy and Treasury Departments, and no sense of outrage by the government to the oil-producing nations -- who have the power to ease the economic burden on the world.

Political persuasion is part of the economic game, but so far it's been missing.

Unless there are some high-octane political discussions with the oil-producing nations, we'll have to wait for the next OPEC meeting in a month before possible relief.

By that time, the damage could be more serious.

Semper Fi 08-18-2005 05:31 PM

Re: Boaters Feeling the Pinch of High Gasoline Prices

Funny how the oil companies say the price is going up and there's nothing they can do about it. Then you see their quaterly profits went through the roof. :mad:

CAP071 08-18-2005 05:40 PM

So True So True. :mad: Hey it just so happens our President is an Oil man. I wonder if that is just a coincidence? :rolleyes:

florida gator 08-18-2005 08:17 PM

You nshould be able to buy fuel from the marinas without all the taxes.

Donzi Corleone 08-18-2005 08:48 PM

Its getting so bad, Im just about threw with boating.........The gas the insurance its not worth it anymore...If my boat sells, I wont be hell bent on another one until someone decides to get the price back down to earth.....The fuel was 1.30 for premium when I bought it in 2004. Now , with insurance and God knows these thing break and need TLC, WTF Im a nervous wreck to take it out.

Donzi Corleone 08-18-2005 08:51 PM

Was gonna do the OPBA poker run in Sarasota, but with gas gonna be at 3.00 by then and the hotel and the entry fee, Its gonna take all of a grand for the weekend. Not me, Im tapped with this present economy.

mwdill 08-18-2005 08:56 PM

im pretty sure im not getting a twin engine boat for a while , at least untill the prices chill out.

MnHowardCat 08-18-2005 09:27 PM

Jest filled up well I stopped at $500 $2.82 for 92 octane

Steve Zuckerman 08-18-2005 09:32 PM

Wow,
With these high prices and 0 reaction from our beloved federal government, you'd think there's 2 Texas oilmen in the Whitehouse :rolleyes: :( :mad: ...............while their constituents (the oil companies) are getting fat and sassy, we're getting bled dry.
We need some serious consumer/voter outrage guys, or we are really going to get it up the ass :mad: ! I just paid my BP/Amoco bill for July and it was $1000. I looked back at my '04 bill and it was $550. Something is wrong with the picture when your fuel bill exceeds your boat payment :eek: !
Looks like my plans for a 35' twin engine rig are on indefinite hold. This has to be hurting the overall economy as well.
Regards,
Steve

gsmith9898 08-18-2005 09:33 PM

until the president is out of office, oil will stay at all time highs. When the next president gets in there ( Republican or democrat) than oil will come back down and they will find another way to make their friends richer.