Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Painting boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110675-painting-boats.html)

THRILLSEEKER 08-22-2005 07:48 AM

Painting boats

I'm an experienced painter, have done loads of construction related equipment, trailers, ect.... mostly with enamels, and some base/ clear.

Ive decided to tackle the job of painting my new project boat, having zero experience with fiberglass I am looking for some suggestions.

How far down do I need to sand the origonal gellcoat before priming the hull?

how smooth does the hull need to be before priming...what grit do I finish with?

what kind of primer will I be needing..Brand?..Series??..ect.?

does primer need sanded before shooting the paint??

what kind of paint to use? is Automotive base/clear ok? or do I need something different?? Imron?...ect?

this boat will not be sitting in the water for any lenght of time maybe for a weekend at a time max.

packinair 08-22-2005 08:20 AM

Re: Painting boats

see glassdaves thread on "boat painting 101" int he fiberglass/paint section.. or call him

J-Bonz 08-23-2005 06:41 AM

Just spray paint it!!!!!!!!

Audiofn 08-23-2005 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by packinair
see glassdaves thread on "boat painting 101" int he fiberglass/paint section.. or call him

Yup you have to weed through a lot of BS but there is a ton of good info in there.

Jon

dockrocker 08-23-2005 08:39 AM

Thrill,

What would it run to paint a dual axle boat trailer? The trailer is mostly in good shape, but has some rust on the springs/shackles and on the fenders. I'd assume it would have to be taken apart, each piece sandblasted or stripped, then repainted?

Milord 08-23-2005 08:43 AM

Dock,

You'll end up doing more to it than that. I started like you, just need it blasted and painted, I'm now $3500 into the trailer! LOL.

dockrocker 08-23-2005 08:52 AM

It never ends, eh? And I'm still planning on selling the boat... but I'll keep working on projects while I'm doing that. Know anyone, even a Canadian, that would like a twin 29 footer in good shape, with lots of amenities for the ladies. Or should I talk to Melly Jo about that.... :D :D :evilb:

Milord 08-23-2005 09:27 AM

Hey now, why don't you get that dash all redone, trailer prettied up, new chartplotter and a couple of huffers for those mills and then we can talk. :D

dockrocker 08-23-2005 09:54 AM

You sure you want huffers on a pair of 330 hp, cast-internals 454's? Man, I knew you Canucks were a little strange... ;)

Milord 08-23-2005 11:40 AM

Oh, forgot they were 330's .... KABOOM!