Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buying A Marina - Opinions Appreciated (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110734-buying-marina-opinions-appreciated.html)

BOSS245 08-22-2005 08:43 PM

Buying A Marina - Opinions Appreciated

After losing my job of 14+ years with a large, international company, my wife and I have decided to take the plunge and become self employed. The disappointment of being "downsized" has finally worn off, due in part to one of the best boating season's we have ever enjoyed. We are very seriously looking into purchasing a marina. We have kept our boats at several different ones and visited many more over the years. We know what we like/dislike with each of these facilities. What we would like to know is this : what do members of the board like/dislike at your marina? What ameneties do you appreciate? What was missing that you needed? You get the idea. If anyone doesn't leave their boat at a marina, but uses one to launch, please chime in. All opinions are appreciated. Finally, if there are members that currently in the business, we would like to hear from you too. Thank you in advance, as I'm sure your knowledge and opinions will contribute to our dream come true.

Jack

masher44 08-22-2005 08:53 PM

Re: Buying A Marina - Opinions Appreciated

I was part owner of one in TN and knew all the other owners on the lake.... the marina owns you.... you will never make everyone happy.
The best income is slip rental on a 12 month contract. A nice restaurant is key. What makes the most people happy is the personal touch and the residents get GREAT service.
Will you be owning a full service marina?

masher44 08-22-2005 08:55 PM

and the whole key to your sanity and enjoyment of your new endeavor will be to find a reliable, professional person to be the GM and handle things when you are not there so you can enjoy your lives!!!!!!! :cool:

florida gator 08-22-2005 09:02 PM

I believe the one I used to keep my boat in is for sale. Key is I used to keep the boat there. Service is absolutely non existent. They have a continuous waiting list so they don't care abvout pissing anyone off. I would rather pay more and have decent service and some amenities.

I left my wallet and phone in the cabin when I left in a hurry due to a storm. I called the following day to make sure they were there. The guy said yeah, we don't close until 6pm. I said well I know you all usually go home when it's raining and it's been raining most of the day. I explained my situation and he said come on down. 1/2 hour later I get there and it's all locked up, the girl in the bait shop doesn't have access and refuses to call anyone because she knows they won't answer.

hillbilly24 08-22-2005 09:27 PM

What area are you looking in ?

BOSS245 08-22-2005 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by florida gator
I believe the one I used to keep my boat in is for sale. Key is I used to keep the boat there. Service is absolutely non existent. They have a continuous waiting list so they don't care abvout pissing anyone off. I would rather pay more and have decent service and some amenities.

I left my wallet and phone in the cabin when I left in a hurry due to a storm. I called the following day to make sure they were there. The guy said yeah, we don't close until 6pm. I said well I know you all usually go home when it's raining and it's been raining most of the day. I explained my situation and he said come on down. 1/2 hour later I get there and it's all locked up, the girl in the bait shop doesn't have access and refuses to call anyone because she knows they won't answer.

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm getting pumped. Florida Gator, this is exactly the reason we are getting involved in this. I was involved in customer service for those 14+ years. It is a rare commodity these days, to say the least. My marina lacks it; my boats dealers service dept. lacks it. When people go out of their way for you, it sticks in your mind.

BOSS245 08-22-2005 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
What area are you looking in ?

We live in NY. Are currently looking East Coast...leaning toward a warmer climate. The season's pretty short here.

ratman 08-22-2005 10:05 PM

good service, decent ships store, good bar/rest, nice rest room facilities/ showers.

hillbilly24 08-22-2005 10:13 PM

A dry stack is another good money maker but you have to be in an area that will support one, the lifts and upkep are pretty spendy but if you can fill at least 200 racks or so the money is there. If you are interested in looking at something in Florida let me know and I will tell you what I know about the place, I'm in the marina lift buisness.

1stfntn 08-22-2005 10:29 PM

We're on a lake and spend weekends on the boat, so our priorities may be different. Here goes. (1) Calm water with well maintained slips/facilities. (2) Nice, clean bathrooms/showers for slip renters. (3) Good restaurant and bar. (4) Prompt and friendly service. (5) Gas dock. (6) On site maintenance (at least minor maintenance such as oil changes, wash/wax, etc.). (7) Cable TV, phone and internet service available. (8) Launch ramp. (9) And ours has a pool and outside bar, but never really use them. Hope this helps.