Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need help with decision, Please give opinion... >

Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Notices
View Poll Results: Need help with question, please give opinion
25 Baja Outlaw
9.68%
275 Baja Outlaw
5.38%
1990 Cigarette Bullet
43.01%
25 Agressor Sunsation
2.15%
288 Sunsation
39.78%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Old 08-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

mobilecal, the fountain and cigarette would be a better quality (interiors/ fit and finish/ design) boat but are much more money. The Baja is a good boat but I don't think it is quite as solid as the Check. You won't see a lot of Checks in your area, its mostly a north east boat (made in ohio). Its made in limited numbers and all hand built not on a mass scale like the bajas and they have been in business for 40 years. It is a very solid well built boat. Their website is http://www.checkmatepowerboats.net/ You can pick up a late 90's 25 or 28 (now called the 270 and 300) for $25-40k depending on options/power.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mobilecal
What does that boat go for new? Thought that his asking price was a little high..

Did you post a poll? I thought with all of the views there would have been a few more selections...
My best advice is to buy as big and as new a boat as you can stomach. You will save money in the long run. Bump you maximum budget up another 5-10k and you will get a boat you will enjoy for many years. Spend a little extra on a newer boat up front instead of repairs and downtime later. That is the lesson I learned.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned an Active Thunder...... However, I've been on them and through them..... Not even close to a lower end boat!!!! Fast, deep, quality offshore boat.... At your request, I won't compare them to what's on your list. New 28 AT's are give or take 100k at the dealers depending on power. Good luck in your search!!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by East Coast B
I've never owned an Active Thunder...... However, I've been on them and through them..... Not even close to a lower end boat!!!! Fast, deep, quality offshore boat.... At your request, I won't compare them to what's on your list. New 28 AT's are give or take 100k at the dealers depending on power. Good luck in your search!!

If you have any facts on the AT compared to the facts of the other boats, I would love to hear them.... I only know of two Active Thunders in area, so dont know much about them other than the walk around bow
Old 08-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From your list The Bullet is the only one that you for sure will not loose $ on...They are not getting any cheaper. But..It doesnt sound like you need the rough water ride of a Bullet.
It will cost nore to run..Twins, No steps,Pads, Heavy boat.
The only other on your list i know about is the 25 Baja & Sunsation. Apples to oranges with the Cig. Under 30 foot, single engine it would be Sabre or Pantera for me...I like the smooth dry ride solid feel .
Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I own a 2003 37 Active Thunder. My boat has performed flawless for me in every aspect, (outside of Mercury mechanical breakdown). I owned a Sonic previously. I think you would be very comfortable in a (pre-2004) 26' Sonic, or 25' / 28' AT.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Registered

I almost bought a Sunsation aggressor (Rocket actually, but they are the same hull from the rub rail down). It was too small for my needs. Performance on the test drive was good, but it felt like and looked like a small boat.

I've driven a 288 mid-cabin powered by a 500hp. Amazing boat - fast, stable, comfy, tons of room to haul others is you need, and awesome looking. Big boat looks and performance with a single engine.

288 mid-cabin hands down if you have the $$$ (I don't!).
Old 08-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Registered

Just in case you don't know, Sunsation no longer makes the 25 Aggressor. They sold the mold and another company is currently producing that boat. It could be a factor in resale.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Registered

This is a really broad spread of boats now that I looked all of them up on boattrader.

Sunsation Aggressor is tiny compared to the others. The Cig is a 30' twin - I assume it weighs close to 2000lbs more than the next largest boat.

With that said, the Baja's and and the 288 all seem to be in a similar class.

Anyone with Baja 25 Outlaw vs Baja 275 vs Sunsation 288 driving experience?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Mobile,i get the feeling from your gas concerns and description you are really set on a single engine boat. As far as the majority of poker runs your choices would be kinda small and rough riding. I'd rule out the agressor for sure,its a fast hull but extremely narrow and requires tab use just to keep under control because of the narrow beam. The cheaper insurance companys WON"T write policys on 15 year and older boats so rule out anything that old,even if YOU can insure it now,in two years if you want to move up you'll have a hard sell because the next buyer will have issues with insurance.The 288 sunsation will outrun either baja easily with same power by a easy 5-7 mph,and I own a baja 272 (i'm speaking from experience). I'm not impressed with Baja's quality whatsoever either,i bought my baja bought new in 2000 and customer support was less than stellar plus half the screws that hold boat together missed their target which will be important of you want to run in poker runs. I would expand your list to include some of the biggest single engine boats-pantera,checkmate,fountain etc. A 29 ft fountain would be nice amd my buddy just bought a 28 ft checkmate with a factory 525 sc for 35k(a 95)with low hours. If I was buying a single v over again I'd buy a 29 fountain single, 28 checkmate or a 288 sunsation with hp 500,hp 525 or 525 sc(still can insure for 600$ a year) and will run 70 -80 mph. The 28 check my buddy got runs 72 and he's putting my headers and a superchiller on it this winter,should run almost 80 next year. 50k ought to get you into any of these in the 4-8 year old range,Smitty

Quick Reply: Need help with decision, Please give opinion...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.