Notices

Outboard gurus

Old 08-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outboard gurus

I dont really know chit about them other than theyre too quiet.

Im looking for a used/ fairly fresh rebuilt 2.4 Merc or similar.

What do I need to look for when buying used, ive noticed a lot of guys seem to post induvidual cylinder compression in their classified ads......what is good compression for theese motors? Can I use a gaffrig style throttle / shifter setup or does it have to be one of those goofy huge control boxes like you find with most outboards? Anything to worry about in the lowers, or are they considered "not a weak link"??? whats the typical lifespan of a powerhead? Anything else I should look for or ask about?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Outboard gurus

Try posting on "screamandfly.com" on the tech. section. They have some the industries best engine builders on the site. It's the Offshoreonly of outboards. It's a free site to boot

Last edited by Rocco; 08-22-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

They have not made 2.4's for at least 10 years. The compression will depend on the powerhead. Go to www.Screamandfly.com and ask this same question.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are repowering, you may want to look into 2.5's. The 2.4's were basically grenades.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Registered

Who don't you just get a real motor... PROMAX 300
Old 08-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Registered

Are you looking for 2.4 BPs. If so they are good engines. If possible try to stick with 2.5 260 or 280's. BTW what kind of boat is it going on?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Registered

go 2.5, the 2.4 are too old and the parts are probably getting hard to find try jaco marine .
Old 08-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Question Re: Outboard gurus

What kind of boat are you planning on putting it on, the 2.4's + 2.5's are better for a lighter boat and the 3.0's are better for a heavier boat. Scream&Fly is the outboard resource but there are some of us with mixmasters here also.

Caleb
Old 08-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
I dont really know chit about them other than theyre too quiet.

Im looking for a used/ fairly fresh rebuilt 2.4 Merc or similar.

What do I need to look for when buying used, ive noticed a lot of guys seem to post induvidual cylinder compression in their classified ads......what is good compression for theese motors?

The compression will vary depending on the type of motor you are looking at, the higher the compression the better your fuel needs to be. The important thing is that there is minimum differences between cylinders

Can I use a gaffrig style throttle / shifter setup or does it have to be one of those goofy huge control boxes like you find with most outboards?
Yes you can use Gaffrig style throttles and shifters.

Anything to worry about in the lowers, or are they considered "not a weak link"???
This depends on what you are using the motor for and what gearcase it has, if you are looking for a high performance motor you would want a sportmaster or torquemaster gearcase depending on how fast the boat you are installing the motor on will go.
whats the typical lifespan of a powerhead?
I think that a powerhead that is well maintained and run with clean oil and fuel should get 1200 hours unless run at very high RPM's all the time.
Anything else I should look for or ask about?
If you can tell us what kind of boat it's going on and what you plan on doing with it we could probably make better suggestions.

Caleb
Old 08-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Registered

going on a 16 ft ocean express cat. I think the factory weight is right around a thousand pounds, it may be slightly heavier when Im done with it, the transom is rotted so I will be replacing it quite a bit srronger than the origonal.

yes im serious.

Quick Reply: Outboard gurus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.