ist time boat owner needs help >

ist time boat owner needs help

Notices

ist time boat owner needs help

Old 08-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ist time boat owner needs help

i plan on buying my first boat and its going to be a project boat.the first thing i want to do is to get it off a trailer on to stands in my back yard.the boat is a 28 foot formula.anyone got any ideas ? i was thinking about using a back hoe and a couple straps as a last resort.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: ist time boat owner needs help

If it's your first boat, DON'T buy a project boat! A brand new boat is more of a project then you could possibly imagine. Buy something that runs and enjoy it. Many of us that have had boats all of our live have tried the "project" route. I will tell you from experience, it's not nearly as much fun as you would think. Never again!
Old 08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Registered

Project boats never seem to get finished and cost way to much money!!!!

Buy something that runs and can be used without repair, trust me during the season you'll find things that you will need to fix!!! Good Luck.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered

Congratulations - what's it need? Keep the backhoe away from it for now.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Registered

I've done it twice. Because I'm stupid.

Project boats don't just cause more headache than the running boats, they cost more too.

When you get done being nickle and dimed to death in parts you will have been able to buy something that is less hassle and expense.

You have to REALLY want to tinker to take on a project boat.

It is never a good financial move.

Not trying to pee on your idea... just trying to save you a bunch of grief.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I've bought alot of boats and cars over the years that I have put alot of time and money into and then shortly after completion or sometimes before i sell them for a loss. Some people are diffrent, I get alot more enjoyment oout of building it then useing it. If you do want to take it off the trialer the best way it to jack the back of the traier up and place blocks at both rear sorners of the boat then lower the trailer down. Then use two jacks under the bow with some pading and pull the trailer out from underneath, you need two jacks becuase as you pull the trailer out the crossmembers and axles will hit the jack so you have to put a second one in at a diffrent location and then remove the first one. Last thing is to lower the bow onto a block. You could use the blocks in the rear like I described and use the backhoe for the front useing the bow eye so you can just pull the trailer out in one shot, make sure the bow eye is strong enough and braced properly though.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

You're covered under "REALLY wants to tinker."
Old 08-29-2005, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 495 Likes on 270 Posts

Make sure the backhoe operator is good or your project will be bigger than planned! If you enjoy working on the boat rather than using it, get a project boat! The good thing about something like that is you will know the boat very well, so if something should fail out on the water you might be able to make it work, if it's not terminal. It will cost more than just buying a good runner! Trust me, I'm in the middle of one right now, and already planning my next, but look on the bright side I'm not paying $1.20/l (or $3++/gal)for fuel. HMMM ... so is more or less expensive to have a project? Good luck and have fun! You should also join this site because they are great help! Oh yea, I removed my engines with a backhoe!
Attached Thumbnails ist time boat owner needs help-copy-resurrection-3-007.jpg  

Last edited by resurrected; 08-29-2005 at 06:12 AM.