Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who would favor Min planing speed@night regs. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/110939-who-would-favor-min-planing-speed%40night-regs.html)

Wobble 08-25-2005 11:33 AM

Re: Who would favor Min planing speed@night regs.

Originally Posted by CMG
We'll know pretty soon if 45mph day / 25mph nite limit will be a new law on Winnipesaukee in NH by October.

I would oppose daytime speed limits also.

Macklin 08-25-2005 11:41 AM

Don't you mean 'maximum' planing speed? I don't know how to vote..... :confused: :D

Dock Holiday 08-25-2005 11:47 AM

I am in favor of maximum "PLANING SPEED".

I do that now, it is just common sense.

We put the tabs all the way down and run about 20 to 25 MPH.

I would not like an idle, "NO WAKE" type of rule.

The problem with rules on the water is I find 1/2 of the boaters do not know what they are.

Performance boaters for the most part are the safest people on the water, but get the worst rap because of just a few idiots.

ferraristyle 08-25-2005 12:04 PM

I'd support a night time "speed limit"; but my fear would be that it would lead to a daytime speed limit as well. One of those cake and eat it scenarios.

Wobble 08-25-2005 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Macklin
Don't you mean 'maximum' planing speed? I don't know how to vote..... :confused: :D

Minimum planing speed is how they refer to it on Lake Conroe. Somewhere in the 20-30mph range depending on the boat. If my terminology is wrong, please excuse my ignorance. Should it be minimum speed to plane out?

fund razor 08-25-2005 12:24 PM

No I think you are fine Wobble.

I understand it as "minimum speed required to stay on plane."

Formula311-SR1 08-25-2005 12:49 PM

We are 25mph at night, on the Chain of Lakes in Northern Illinois already.

Sydwayz 08-25-2005 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by formula242-502
We are 25mph at night, on the Chain of Lakes in Northern Illinois already.

The Chain had HORRIBLE problems with this years ago when I was growing up. Boaters would actually turn OFF there lights to run across the lake and to avoid being seen at speed. I remember several horrible accidents.

bobonthis 08-25-2005 01:01 PM

Well I am going to sound like a dummy here but up until a few years ago until I got out of Ohio boating I thought all lakes were no wake at night because that is how all the lakes I boated in Ohio were, the problem then was when the bars let out people would kill there lights and run WOT across the water trying to hide from water patrol.

Macklin 08-25-2005 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
I understand it as "minimum speed required to stay on plane."

Ahhh, now that makes sense. OK, I can vote now. :D

In all seriousness, it's too bad you can't legislate common sense. Last time I ran at night I was doing just as Dock mentioned above. Just fast enough to stay on plane with the tabs almost fully extended. We were running across the Chesapeake Bay from Hampton to Lynnhaven. All of a sudden I spot a set of very small wakes in front of me. Turned out to be a John boat running in the middle of Ches Bay with no lights. Had I been going any faster.....who knows. Scary.