Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI? >

Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?

Notices

Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

We ran side by side cruising at xyz mph this past weekend with the new 39 Nortech cat, took multiple photos, this Nortech is real nice. This is hull number 2. Look how the boat is running in the photos.

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p569525850

I would also like to know how much hp the new merc 850s really make. I think the boat runs better with Merc 850s then the prior 1150hp xyz motors.

Last edited by Pro1; 05-27-2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: forgot photo
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Actual physical properties?

What are the actual construction properties of these brands?

Who hand lays, vs vacuum bags?
Does anyone but outerlimits use the resin infusion process?

Which brands use what core materials?

- and if they use balsa what weight and brand?
- or if they use foam which one?

Uncle Dave
Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Have you paid any thought to an OL Cat?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by animalhouse

Dude this thread is 4 years old.

He bought a 39MTI and posts videos at a 170 now

Mikes in my back yard and would love to get a day pass to
go in there and check it out. Ya got any pull bro?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
We ran side by side cruising at xyz mph this past weekend with the new 39 Nortech cat, took multiple photos, this Nortech is real nice. This is hull number 2. Look how the boat is running in the photos.

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p569525850

I would also like to know how much hp the new merc 850s really make. I think the boat runs better with Merc 850s then the prior 1150hp xyz motors.

Thank you! BTW it's 40!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:33 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
What are the actual construction properties of these brands?

Who hand lays, vs vacuum bags?
Does anyone but outerlimits use the resin infusion process?

Which brands use what core materials?

- and if they use balsa what weight and brand?
- or if they use foam which one?

Uncle Dave
Dave:

Hand layup and vacuum bagging are not mutually exclusive. The proper procedure is to hand lay in the materials and then use a vacuum bag to seal the deal.

OL does have the auto clave for pre-preg work but that has not been as infallible as originally thought (some delamination in the early Cougars). Of course any process is only as good as the workman who use it.

As far as balsa versus foam and layup schedules. These things are generally closely held and change over time as experience and material upgrades occur. However anyone who uses foam core on running surfaces is cruising for a major problem IMHO. Foam cores compress over time with repeated impact leaving the glass layers to flex and eventually separate....and regardless of the claims...I don't think this has been satisfactorily resolved.....ask for balsa on your pads and bottoms.

T2x
Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Registered

From what I can tell (which is why I asked) it seems like the OL cat uses the most sophisticated layup process - resin infusion.

If so this allows for a lighter thinner hull of equal strength and would theoretically be an advantage.

"Carbon fibre" cloth with AME resin that builders use is a bit of a misnomer - yes its carbon fibre , but without the autoclave process I dont see an advantage.

For it to be the genuine article the pieces or the whole boat needs to bake in an autoclave under pressure to bond the carbon fibres to the core material - I dont believe anyone in this group has an autoclave period much less one big enough to stick boat parts in.

These are all awesome boats, but Im reading preferences in these threads vs. construction data to support what people own or people like.

UD
Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Dave:

Hand layup and vacuum bagging are not mutually exclusive. The proper procedure is to hand lay in the materials and then use a vacuum bag to seal the deal.

OL does have the auto clave for pre-preg work but that has not been as infallible as originally thought (some delamination in the early Cougars). Of course any process is only as good as the workman who use it.

As far as balsa versus foam and layup schedules. These things are generally closely held and change over time as experience and material upgrades occur. However anyone who uses foam core on running surfaces is cruising for a major problem IMHO. Foam cores compress over time with repeated impact leaving the glass layers to flex and eventually separate....and regardless of the claims...I don't think this has been satisfactorily resolved.....ask for balsa on your pads and bottoms.

T2x

Agreed on balsa-

Agreed on construction

The reason I bring it up -

one major mfgr uses foam and claims "Wood Free" and uses foam exclusively - but they do not vac bag. ( Some of the younger crowd eat this up claiming superiority based on wood free construction but its not true.)

This in effect negates the lightness the man made material offers as the only real advantage over balsa. (see attatched example)

Nothing compares to the strength of balsa across the board, but without a vacuum bag process getting an actual single piece sandwich with any core material is nearly impossible.

UD
Attached Thumbnails Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?-core-material-comparison.jpg  
Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
From what I can tell (which is why I asked) it seems like the OL cat uses the most sophisticated layup process - resin infusion.

If so this allows for a lighter thinner hull of equal strength and would theoretically be an advantage.

"Carbon fibre" cloth with AME resin that builders use is a bit of a misnomer - yes its carbon fibre , but without the autoclave process I dont see an advantage.

For it to be the genuine article the pieces or the whole boat needs to bake in an autoclave under pressure to bond the carbon fibres to the core material - I dont believe anyone in this group has an autoclave period much less one big enough to stick boat parts in.

These are all awesome boats, but Im reading preferences in these threads vs. construction data to support what people own or people like.

UD

All Outerlimits boats and componants are cured in their in house autoclave.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Registered

All Outerlimits boats and componants are cured in their in house autoclave.

an "In house oven" is NOT necessarily an autoclave. Pressure and enough heat to melt the carbon filaments -being the difference

I think-( help me out here) - they cure their resin infused pieces in heat - which is good, and it lets them get the mold back into production sooner - I dont thinks it a true pressure oven ala MClaren F1 groups type.

Anyone know for sure?

UD

Quick Reply: Which boat to buy, 40 Skater or 39 MTI?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.