Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
A very, very, rare treasure of offshore racing history. >

A very, very, rare treasure of offshore racing history.

Notices

A very, very, rare treasure of offshore racing history.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A very, very, rare treasure of offshore racing history.

Originally Posted by bigd1
What's the point of the cable running along the bow? I see that a lot on older boats & have wondered what's the deal?
Originally Posted by Top Banana
The rules also required that the deck be equipped with a lifeline that could be used in emergencies. That is me, Charlie McCarthy, in the cockpit and Barry Cohen on the deck in these photos.
Maybe some kind of lifeline? good stuff TB!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pics, love that old history. Wish I could have seen it in person.

Been reading about the early boats and drivers in Crouse's "SeaRace". Great book, can't put it down.

Those old wood boats must have been absolute beasts to be able to take the pounding they were given.

Did they have a fiberglass skin or surface? I can's see how they could possible mold those beautiful strakes from wood.

Cool stuff.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to think Barry was going to race her again if the Miami to NY race ever took place again.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Where's the navigator's seat??? Or did he just stand and hang on!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..that's the "lifeline" he reffered to..

Originally Posted by bigd1
What's the point of the cable running along the bow? I see that a lot on older boats & have wondered what's the deal?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome - thanks for sharing!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Post #6 shows the cockpit with just handrails around. The mechanic was supposed to hang on and stand by in case of trouble. The lifeline on the deck was used in case anyone had to go on deck in the open ocean, sometimes at speed.

The little doors you can see in the back of the cockpit were so the mechanic could have access to the engines during the race...he would crawl through there and work on the engines.

Notice there is no rudder system on the boat...there was a single spade rudder.....it was very difficult to control at any speed, you just aimed it and held on, literally.

Post #6 that little blue gauge just above the entrance to the cabin door was the "speedometer"....GPS what was that ?????
Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post! That is definately a piece of Offshore racing history at it's finest
Old 08-29-2005, 04:13 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That boat, Ghost Rider, was crafted by Souter in England...and they followed it up with a few other examples.. A European hull called "Surfury" comes to mind and two other smaller versions (20 and 22 feet) that raced here in the states for the OMC factory team in marathon events like Havasu and the Milwaukee-Chicago-Milwaukee races.

It was not unusual for Wooden boats to take a pounding especially with an "egg shape" like Ghost Rider had...... and the hulls and strakes were very easy to craft, repair...and modify....as needed. It was because of hulls like these that we built the Conquests Cats in Wood and fibreglass composites....... which were basically bullet proof... and could be changed at a whim.

I knew Barry when he started racing....... a twin outboard flat bottomed Rayson Craft rigged at K&K outboard in 1966. Once he caught the offshore bug , he was on to bigger and better things....

Ron or CHarlie:....Please PM his phone number to me...as I believe he has a Wing Switzer Craft.... That , as you know, I am VERY interested in.

T2x
Old 08-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool pics! Thanks. Any pics of the power? What BB motors were used? What kind of V drives where used? Did they have a neutral? What kind of MPH did it have? Sorry for all the questions, but I have many more but thought I would leave it at this for now. Makes you wonder how many MEN are still around that would be able to take on a racing a boat like that in those conditions now a days.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:39 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Outboard powered OMC team Souter...vintage 1968.... This was probably as fast as Ghost Rider........ 70-80

T2x
Attached Thumbnails A very, very, rare treasure of offshore racing history.-mvc-001f.jpg  

Quick Reply: A very, very, rare treasure of offshore racing history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.