Like Tree0Likes

A very, very, rare treasure of offshore racing history.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1984 Excalibur 31'
Default Re: A very, very, rare treasure of offshore racing history.

Cool pictures and Cool stories!!
Gotta love it!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:04 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

The Around Long Island Marathon is a few days away......

Some genius parked the Donzi Fleet ( 008, Broad Jumper, etc)...under the Whitestone Expressway overpass off Northern Boulevard..... In Corona, Queens, NEW YORK CITY........

At the time I was in transition from my cherished old persona as teenage street savvy hoodlum(with a minor in boat racing)..... in Flushing.... (The Next town to Corona)

(My "Doo Wop" period)........

to my new status as raconteur, sophisticated ex employee of the NY World's Fair, and boat racing outboard mechanic cum engineering student, with strategically combed long hair and Carnaby Street duds...

(My British Invasion Period).

Some of my "street wise"....... "wharf rat".... friends and acquaintances.... contacted me in a frenzy..... and asked me to come down that evening and identify this collection of wild boats parked in this unusual location..... (a poorly lit bastion of rapes, gang fights, and various corpse dumpings over many years...... conveniently located within a Joe Namath pass of Shea Stadium..... as well as the largest "chop shop" junkyards on the East Coast).

When I got there at about 1 AM..... the "guard" was fast asleep and his world was about to be rocked by an invasion of really nasty, tool wielding urchins straight out of Les Miserables.

Thery turned to ....of all people...me....... for confirmation that this was indeed....valuable "stuff". Trying to maintain my composure...while silently cursing the dope who chose this precise spot to "store" these race boats of my dreams.....
I explained that these were true race boats...owned by neat people.... and at the very least thery should let the race happen..... and enjoy watching it.....before setting about on their greedy mission.... "Besides" .... I informed them..... "If you've never seen hardware like this...... it's gonna be too hot to fence, anyway".

They agreed...... Since my IQ was above 75... I was something of a genius to that crew....and they walked away empty handed..... no doubt into the life of importing Oive Oil with an old and venerable Italian American Consortium for which they were genetically programmed.

Brownie..... You owe me.

T2x
Old 08-31-2005, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana
I really can't say enough how I feel about the debt of gratitude that the offshore community owes to Barry Cohen for keeping such an important piece of history.

How would we all feel if we found the original Cigarette that Don Aronow raced?

Well, this is the boat that used to beat Don as he was learning his skill. Jim Wynne is credited with many inventions and a real scientific approach to racing. I know guys like Brownie and T2X have many fond memories of this era and probably are as appreciative as I am that this boat still exists.
I agree, seems like a no-brainer that these old racers will become valuable just as muscle cars have...If you take 10 ex-race boats and put them in a warehouse and call it a "museum" its a tax writeoff..just wonder why no ones done this already...think Tom Monahan(Dominos Pizza owner with his car "Museum") just my .02
Old 08-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

T2x, did you ever find out which brain surgeon left them under the bridge? Was that the dry pits?

Great story.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Registered

My Boats: 4 BOATS KILLED :)

We were invited to leave the boats at Bobby Weichbrodt's 'Mayfair Marine', on the Woodcleft Canal. I had the 'Broadjumper', Aronow the '008', and Bobby Rautbord the 'Patty Lou". Billy Wishnick, owner of the 'Broadjumper', found a cute babe to wash the diesel dust off the boat before we launched it. We showed her how to open the transom drain (remote controlled with a Morse cable) to let the wash water out of the bilge. Later, we launched the boat, test ran it and declared it ready to go. We went to drivers' meeting. When we returned, the boat was sunk in the travel lift up to the rubrail. Sabotage! Sabotage! Nah. The girl saw some footprints on the deck, hosed them off, and opened the transom drain! CHIT!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1976/2011 24' Banana hull#2

Here's an old picture of Don A. in the skinny '60's "banana" boat that Brownie spoke of earlier (not to be confused with our banana boats which are former Cigarette hulls) Little bit of trivia - Don A. actually gave my dad the idea to call the company "Banana Boat Co." when he sold my dad the molds....
Attached Thumbnails
A very, very, rare treasure of offshore racing history.-banana00111a%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 09-02-2005, 09:47 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P
T2x, did you ever find out which brain surgeon left them under the bridge? Was that the dry pits?

Great story.
It was definitely not the dry pits......... As I review the timeline... It was either before the '65 or '66 race.

The '65 event was held out of Freeport, L.I. ....as per Brownie's recollection above.

The '66 event was held out of the World's Fair Marina on Flushing Bay adjacent to the place I talked about......

In either case this was a few days before the event and the racers were not in town yet. My recollection is that 008 was one of the boats parked.... making this the '65 event.

In either case....these boats were definitely in harms way.

T2x
Old 09-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Registered

Allen(Brownie)Brown, Its been 25 years since I worked at Cougars, Do you remember me? I have been reading your posts, you have an excellent memory. I guess I must of spent a little too much time in the Rum Runner, Is it still there? I discovered this site while googleing model powerboats, thats what I have been racing for the past 10 years. I still have a love for the big stuff though. I guess you never get it out of your system. Well its back to work(lunch hour) I'ii post again and we'll bs about some of the goings on at Cougars
Cheers
Mike Bontoft
Old 09-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Registered

My Boats: 4 BOATS KILLED :)

Mike Bontoft, I answered your other post.

AB
Old 12-03-2005, 05:37 AM
Registered

My Boats: Very old, very slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
and here's the line drawings and also "Surfury" as spoken about by T2X above...
Plenty of detail my website that you can find on www.surfury.co.uk. Any body with pics of Surfury or any detail on Daytona Corporation Scarab engines please let me know - I would love to add to the site.
[email protected]