Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc. >

SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc.

Notices

SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc.

I wanted to give this it's own thread...

SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE POWERBOATING ASSOCIATION LIVES & it has been a long time coming. www.SMLPBA.com

More information will be available soon but I will be registering members on Saturday 10AM, at the Bridge just before our little fun run this weekend.

I can also forward out a registration form to anyone who would like to register via email. Just email me at ([email protected] under the subject of SMLPBA and I'll reply back to you.) We are just in the beginning stages of this and the plan is to be rolling out for the 2006 season, with full representation. (Remember the SML poker run is pretty early in the season) so your registration now will be good thru the end of 06. The cost is still being decided (if any) and we're looking into exactly what that cost may or may not get you. (ie: Shirts, Hats, etc)

If anyone wants info and doesn't see me, stop over to Rich's blue Active Thunder or Brian's "Monsoon" A/T for info. Or you can always email me at [email protected]

We need members...not only for representation at the runs and such, but also for representation here at SML & Virginia.

If anyone has specifics questions or requests, please let me know. We'll also be looking for volunteer board members.

Jim Marsh
AKA: BLUE by you
Attached Thumbnails SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc.-smlpba_20rev4-white-new-smaller.jpg   SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc.-smlpba_20rev4-black-new-smaller.jpg  

Last edited by Blue by You; 09-08-2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:34 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Default Re: SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc.

Can we have a secret hand shake?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:45 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
Can we have a secret hand shake?
Shake this....
Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Will just informed me that a public meeting has been scheduled for next Thursday the 8th from 6-8 at the church just down the road from the bridge (announcement is to be released at 1PM today via local news media) This will be a forum to voice opinions regarding regulations, changes, etc here at SML. We as a group MUST have representation. I am calling on all powerboaters to attempt to attend this meeting. We will chose a spokesperson to voice our opinion. IF we do not show up in force we run the risk of being out numbered and having rules dictated to us. Please mark your calendars and I will post more info when it becomes available.

Last edited by Blue by You; 08-30-2005 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:33 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Boating forum set for Sept. 8 WE NEED YOUR PARTICIPATION!!!

Following the tragic boating fatalities on Aug. 20 at Smith Mountain Lake, the Department of Game & Inland Fisheries and the SML Water Safety Council are sponsoring a public forum for area residents to be held Thursday, Sept. 8 at 6 p.m. at Trinity Ecumenical Parish.

The purpose of the forum is to receive input from local residents on making boating safer at SML.

Col. Gerald Massengill, Interim Director of the Department of Game & Inland Fisheries, will attend the session. Many SML community leaders and county and state elected officials will be invited.

While Lake patrols, sobriety checks, fire and rescue activities, and boater education are at their highest levels since the dam was constructed in the mid sixties, so are the number of boats, the velocity of high-performance boats, the rate of boating incidents, and the number of boating fatalities, said Ralph Brush of the SML Water Safety Council in a news release about the forum.

Residents of SML are urged to attend and state their opinions on what needs to be done to make the Lake safer, the news release concluded.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,

While I commend you on this new organization.

You are aware a group already exists called the Smith Mountain Boating Associationhttp://www.smlba.com/ , and the Smith Mountain Lake Association. The first is organized to educate boaters and watch out for our rights on SML and to keep peace with the SMLA, (that out numbers us)

I am not sure what affilitation you are refering to with the Poker Run either since the SMLBA puts it on.????

Not raining on your group but just curious where you are going with this??

See ya this weekend

WILL

Last edited by BAJA WILL; 08-30-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:08 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

What's up Will??

I hear you bro & I know. The SMLPBA is being formed for just the powerboaters much like the Richmond PBA, Carolina PBA, etc, etc. We will sponsor different trips & events through out the year, not just the SML Poker Run. Our goal is to provide a fun, family atmosphere for performance boating enthusiasts to enjoy and to promote safe and responsible operation of our vessels while building community goodwill for performance powerboaters through charitable functions, protection of our waterways and demonstrating responsible behavior while boating. Think of it more like a club. We will have our own gatherings and club meetings & we will look to participate as a group rather than just individuals.

We will not however turn away from supporting the other local associations and we WILL be an avid supporter of safety education on the lake.

SMLPBA is just a more specialized group catering to the performance powerboaters.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All GOOD
By the way myself and a few others will be attending the meeting sept 8th, will be there really to support enforcing existing laws and not support any new ones. With exception of the lady who jumped off her pontoon and drowned last summer all fatal accidents already are usually breaking a couple of laws, so why make more

WILL
Old 08-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Registered

Hey jim sorry about the email just venting just really agrivated wiyh the profiling
Old 08-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Registered

there is a article in todays paper about the meeting
www.roanoke.com
click on news ,then click on roanoke valley

Quick Reply: SMLPBA Smith Mt. Lake Powerboating Assoc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.