Notices

Labor Day Weekend Guilt

Old 08-31-2005, 04:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Labor Day Weekend Guilt

I'm having a hard time thinking about boating this weekend when so many people in this country are suddenly left without food/shelter/water.

Wish I could pack up the RV and a big trailer of water, food, and medical supplies and head down to help, but due to existing professional commitments, I can't just take off work for more than 2-3 days at a time. Already scheduled for ER shifts all the way through October.

Sounds like one would need to take a large supply of fuel, water, and food for self, plus a few serious weapons to keep looters from stealing supplies going to the disaster victims.

Just can't justify burning up a bunch of fuel and having fun when so many others are without.

Anybody else?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:10 AM
Registered

Default Re: Labor Day Weekend Guilt

Originally Posted by RedDog382
I'm having a hard time thinking about boating this weekend when so many people in this country are suddenly left without food/shelter/water.

Wish I could pack up the RV and a big trailer of water, food, and medical supplies and head down to help, but due to existing professional commitments, I can't just take off work for more than 2-3 days at a time. Already scheduled for ER shifts all the way through October.

Sounds like one would need to take a large supply of fuel, water, and food for self, plus a few serious weapons to keep looters from stealing supplies going to the disaster victims.

Just can't justify burning up a bunch of fuel and having fun when so many others are without.

Anybody else?
I feel the same way, I have a 48 ft gooseneck trailer just sitting empty in my warehouse until wednesday when it gets loaded and to Atlanta for work. I feel Ishould be doing something with it, but how do I get it filled with product totake down there and who is going to pay for all the product more importantly. I would donate my time and fuel but I can not fill it on my dime. I have chosen to donate to someone wha has the set up channels to do it.
I ffeel bad about going of having a nice time this wekend but I have chosen to do so, it is a sad thing to say but life goes on and if it does not the economy takes a hit and then it snowballs and the economy gets worse and worse and worse self perpetuating and destroying what we have come to know as normal. What we all must do is put our nose down bear the bad news and go on. The loss of life is horrible and is only going to get worse, but also remember the people in Iraq and those that went through the Tsunami and othe rnatural disasters in history..... It will rebuild and bcome stronger. Lastly , New orleans should never have been settled below Sea level, just asking for it. but that is neither her nor ther at this point.

Bryan
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Rose
Lastly , New orleans should never have been settled below Sea level, just asking for it. but that is neither her nor ther at this point.

Bryan
Kinda like building a house on RR tracks...not a matter of "if" but "when".
Not the smartest decision of the millenium
Old 08-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto!
Originally Posted by RedDog382

Anybody else?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what you mean. As I was laying down to sleep last night I was thinking of all the people who have no bed and are homeless right now. It kept me up for a while. very sad indeed. Our friggin government better step up to the plate on this one and help these people out. The world can wait for us to help them, our people need help now
Old 09-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bryan Rose
Lastly , New orleans should never have been settled below Sea level, just asking for it. but that is neither her nor ther at this point.

Bryan
Like I said in another thread... Just turn it into "Lake Orleans" and make it the "Venice of North America"!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
The world can wait for us to help them, our people need help now
Man, I sure do agree with that statement! Shut the money off to all outside relief until our in-house relief is, well, relieved.
Gotta keep cash going to Iraq/Pakistan for our troops, everything else on hold and redirected to the Big Easy and others in need down there.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I cannot go down there to help out personally, but sure can donate to the cause.

We plan to save a lot of boating fuel this weekend and send the money to help.

I donated to the Red Cross, Salvation Army and our local church relief effort just today and urge all of you to do what you can and what your heart tells you to do.

These people need help now.

God Bless them all
Old 09-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Registered

Chris,

It looks like the major health systems are compiling medical teams to staff mobile army hospitals. They just sent out an email asking people to go throughout the mercy system (and Catholic Health Partners).

Plus, they called yesterday afternoon for medical helicopters so we sent a couple Life Flights and some crew.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Registered

As far as the guilt goes....

I pulled the boat Monday afternoon and put it on the trailer.
My boating season and career is over.

The ad went on Boattrader this morning.
I'm done.

Now I can only hope that I can sell it so I can pay the loan.

Quick Reply: Labor Day Weekend Guilt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.