Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman >

Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman

Notices

Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman

Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman

I am considering a boat trip to this lake in the fall because I've heard so much about it and how nice it is. Surfing the net the onther day about the area more, I came across this article in the Lake Norman Times. Just curious if anyone knows more about it...????

Boat wrecks, stops short of landing on I-77
By Luann Laubscher

An outing to the North Harbor Club at Davidson Landing on Lake Norman proved to be dangerous for a Sherrills Ford couple Sunday afternoon.

Steve Teeter and his wife were boating in Davidson Creek headed for the North Harbor Club around 3 p.m. Sunday but changed their mind after seeing that the marina was crowded, according to N.C. Wildlife Enforcement Officer Brett Walsh.

Walsh said Teeter was trying to make a sharp turn to head away from the marina when apparently "something broke."

"He was turning and said he felt something break," Walsh said. "He lost control of the steering."

According to Walsh, the 41-foot boat took off in the direction of the I-77bridge that crosses the Lake near exit 30. He said the boat was traveling at 30 to 35 mph. It ran up the bank almost to the guardrail where it stopped, Walsh said.

"They were real lucky," he said.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Registered

Default Re: Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman

Here's another article on the wreck. Thankfully, this time alcohol was NOT a factor in the wreck and no one was injured.

Boat wrecks, stops short of landing on I-77
By Luann Laubscher

An outing to the North Harbor Club at Davidson Landing on Lake Norman proved to be dangerous for a Sherrills Ford couple Sunday afternoon.

Steve Teeter and his wife were boating in Davidson Creek headed for the North Harbor Club around 3 p.m. Sunday but changed their mind after seeing that the marina was crowded, according to N.C. Wildlife Enforcement Officer Brett Walsh.

Walsh said Teeter was trying to make a sharp turn to head away from the marina when apparently "something broke."

"He was turning and said he felt something break," Walsh said. "He lost control of the steering."

According to Walsh, the 41-foot boat took off in the direction of the I-77bridge that crosses the Lake near exit 30. He said the boat was traveling at 30 to 35 mph. It ran up the bank almost to the guardrail where it stopped, Walsh said.

"They were real lucky," he said.

There were no injuries. A towboat was called in to pull the boat off the bank, according to Walsh. He said Teeter was able to drive the boat away from the scene.

Walsh said he did not know the value of the boat. However, he said, damages would probably be somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000.

Walsh said no charges have been filed but the accident is still under investigation. He also stressed that there was no alcohol involved in the accident.

In August 2003, a 20-foot boat with three passengers jumped the same bridge at the I-77 causeway in the early morning hours.

The boat became airborne after sliding up the causeway wall and landing on I-77 in the path of a car.

The three boaters were injured, however no charges were filed in that accident.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what no reverse on that boat? i would have slammed it into reverse
Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Registered

I was just curious if anyone knew anything about it-that's all. How much what damage was from the wreck and what caused the "something to break" or what actually did break to cause the wreck.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 941 Likes on 472 Posts

I dont understand....something broke and they lost control....then the boat was pulled off the bank and was driven away???? i guess it was a simple ifx??? and damages couldnt have been that bad if it was driven away on water!!! Not 20-30K anyway.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:28 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on it was a Velocity...It slid right up the rocks on the Pad!!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv-N-It
I am considering a boat trip to this lake in the fall because I've heard so much about it and how nice it is.

The lake was really nice ... alot like Alum Creek only bigger. Let me know if you do go and Ill get you Shannon (x-drivers) phone number. If hes home, Im sure he'd enjoy showin you around and talkin Hilsinger people with you
Old 09-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Registered

Thanks RG.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lake Norman is a great place, I've been working up there alot lately. You better like NASCAR if your heading that way though, that is stock car racing country.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's Board member Teet! I spoke to him a few times about a set of props I almost bought from him. Nice guy! Bad news!!

Quick Reply: Velocity Wrecks on Lake Norman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.