Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Legal help? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/112633-legal-help.html)

whywait 09-18-2005 09:09 AM

Legal help?

I brought my boat to a repair shop cause it was running bad. After a 2 month wait they informed me it was fixed. When i went to pick it up they handed me a bill for $7000. for a engine rebuild. Which floored me in my tracks. I had no idea this was going to happen. If i had known i would not have had them do it. Now what do i do?

Dave1972 09-18-2005 09:20 AM

Re: Legal help?

Wow...sounds like a great shop :rolleyes: If you were able to pick up your boat I would try to work out some type of agreement with them and come to terms on the repair. If you have not been able to pick up your boat, spend the money and hire an attorney. Was there a written agreement or word of mouth "fix my boat" type of deal? What state are you in? If you did not agree or sign any type of contract or service agreement, I think that they would have a hard time proving you authorized the repair. I'll be interested in seeing this thread develop. There are a few attorneys on the board and hopefully they will help clarify. Good luck!!!!

whywait 09-18-2005 09:27 AM

Dave i am here in Wisconsin, if i had known this was going to happen i would not have had them do it.

cuda 09-18-2005 09:35 AM

In Florida, they have to give you a written notice if the repairs are over $50. :evilb:

Payton 09-18-2005 10:22 AM

You didn't talk to them for 2 months to ask what they were doing? Or what was taking so long?

whywait 09-18-2005 10:35 AM

Payton i would call once or twice a week. The guy answering the phone is not the man who should be. He did not know anything happening at this establishment. He would take a messsge they would not call back.

dhlaw 09-18-2005 10:41 AM

Talk to a Wisconsin lawyer... you may have to pay then sue to recover if there was a breach of an agreement. You need to look at the work order, especially the small print.

whywait 09-18-2005 11:12 AM

dhlaw, their was no work order, I did not sign anything.

GregP 09-18-2005 05:49 PM

I'd talk to them and ask exactly what was wrong (do they have the old parts), what they did (do they have receipts for the new parts), what their warrenty is (will they put it in writing). If it really is rebuilt, done well, and they will stand behind their work your better off to pay the bill and run the boat than to get into an expensive legal battle.

-g

onesickpantera 09-18-2005 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
In Florida, they have to give you a written notice if the repairs are over $50. :evilb:

Same with MI and you have the rights to all the old parts.