Documentation problems, help! >

Documentation problems, help!

Notices

Documentation problems, help!

Old 11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Documentation problems, help!

I have a major mess on my hands. Here's the story. On june 1, 2001, Carl sold his boat to frank. He stated it was sold to frank on that day on the back of the cg certificate. Frank owned the boat until 5-1-05, when I purchased it. I had it two months and realized I did not want to fix it up, so I then sold it. I sold it to darrel. The problem is that darrel is trying to get it re-documented, and cannot because he does not have a bill of sale from the last "registered" owner, carl. The problem is, we cant get in contact with carl to do the bill of sale. Now, darrel is threatening to get an attorney, and that if he cant get a title, he is going to sue me, and want back the money he paid for the boat, and the money he put in to it to fix it up. What do I do here? The bank who I took a loan for the boat, was supposed to take care of all the paperwork for me. When darrel came to buy the boat, he paid off the bank, and they told him when the title came in, they would send it out to darrel. But they sent it to the state of illinois, and it came back to me 2 months later stating it must be processed thru the uscg in order to change the owner. What a mess, and now, its all in my hands, and the bank is no help to me.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Documentation problems, help!

The original owners were husband and wife, carl and lisa, and now the uscg wants a bill of sale from carl and lisa, but again, tried to contact them for the past week with no answer. On the original certificate of documentation, all is says is carl sold 1 1988 chris craft to frank, no signatures. What do I do?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there such a thing as applying for a lost title in chicago? Sometimes in Texas I have seen such things as mechanic leins, applying for a lost title, or posting in the newspaper for 30 days that you purchased and own the boat, and if there is no objections, the boat is titled to you after appropriate taxes are paid. I am very rusty on chicago, so if any one can find a loop hole for mild please step in. Have you tried calling the coast guard and asking them how to deal with the situation in a more realistic manner that what they are asking?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Registered

Why dont you give the OSO members all the info on this carl and lisa. Last names, last known address, phone number you have etc. I bet one of the members here can track them down for you, that is with out a doubt the best way to deal with the situation. websites like "peoplefinder" and google yellow pages switchboard , might help as well.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

The USCG takes Vessel documentation very seriously. I found out the hard way too. Go to the Vessel documentation homepage and read up on documenting a vessel, that might help figure out what to do. Otherwise get a vessel documentation company to help. My boat was never titled by a state as documented vessels are not. So, what I did on my boat was get a letter from the USCG stating the vessel was no longer documented ($15.00), a bill of sale from the owner, and a lein release from the bank after I paid off his loan, and then registered it with the state. So now its all legal and has a title and registration numbers.