Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Whole home generators (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/112756-whole-home-generators.html)

Anarchy Powerboats 09-20-2005 02:10 PM

Re: Whole home generators

Originally Posted by DJD
I'm installing one at a house I'm building. It's a 12000sf home & the owner wants everything including the pool & spa to work if the power goes out.
It's a custom Onan/Cummins 140KW unit which I'm sure will work for you. Should I order another? It only cost about 100k including the two 2000 gal propaine tanks. The $38,000 underground vault would be an extra if you want it. :eek:
The transfer switch is about as big a a Volkswagon

140 KW!!! it's for a house or a hospital???

Scott B 09-20-2005 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
100k for a 140 KW?? Wish I was the dealer on that one....

Our backup for the house...

And the neighbors.....

And their neighbors........ :drink:

Scott B 09-20-2005 03:58 PM

Seriously tho, IMO unless you are on a gas line and don't need a tank, diesel is the way to go. I use a true 30KW to run our house during storms. 5 days of running after Katrina, 15 gallons a day.. Ran AC,2 fridges,stove,washer,dryer etc. Also ran a cord next door and ran their fridge and a wallbange AC....
I find diesel is readily available after a storm here...

Somethings to keep in mind if you decide to go gas:

They are inefficient. Figure about 35% more fuel then you think you will need...
Look carefully a the specs. Most of em under 25 or 30 KW are 3600 RPM units with cheap windings. Look for an 1800 RPM unit....
Check your local dealers, get references. A genset is a mighty expensive item to be orphaned....

Johno 09-20-2005 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scott B
Seriously tho, IMO unless you are on a gas line and don't need a tank, diesel is the way to go. I use a true 30KW to run our house during storms. 5 days of running after Katrina, 15 gallons a day.. Ran AC,2 fridges,stove,washer,dryer etc. Also ran a cord next door and ran their fridge and a wallbange AC....
I find diesel is readily available after a storm here...

Somethings to keep in mind if you decide to go gas:

They are inefficient. Figure about 35% more fuel then you think you will need...
Look carefully a the specs. Most of em under 25 or 30 KW are 3600 RPM units with cheap windings. Look for an 1800 RPM unit....
Check your local dealers, get references. A genset is a mighty expensive item to be orphaned....

Ditto!
As a Electrical contractor in Fl, the utilities will be cut off in the event of a storm. If you have a Natural gas line, you may not have Gas in a storm. Gas Generarators are not that efficient & without a big tank, you'll be running out fast. Diesel systems need to be maintained, however you'll find most "real" generators will be Diesel. 20kw will get most homes running okay,(cost $18-20k) The Home Depot 15kw units are not really 15kw & will suffice. For the money not that bad.

fountain1fan 09-20-2005 07:43 PM

i have a millerwelder generator 8 k at100% duty cycle . deasel the oinly way to go . if you get ng or prop you derate your out put by 5 to 15 % , :drink: something to thank about .

yahoo 09-21-2005 06:00 AM

Thanks everybody, looks like I waited to long here comes rita.

CM

CAVelocity 09-21-2005 06:56 AM

Since I have a tractor at my disposal for business reasons, I bought a PTO driven Generac generator. It is a 25kW continuous (50kW surge) unit that runs at 1800 rpm off of a gear drive from the tractor's 540rpm output. With the current tractor I have, I figure I am only getting 15kW out of it (plan to get a higher horsepower tractor eventually). I have a 200A transfer switch that lets me run everything off of it including A/C's and pool pumps.

This seemed to be the best route for me so that I don't have to maintain another engine that would otherwise not be used 99 percent of the time. As for Diesel fuel.... when a storm is approaching I just make sure that my dad's boat has a full tank and I have 200 gals available if I need it. At 10 gals a day, thats 20 days worth right there. Last year, it ran for 5 days after one storm and 3 after another.