Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Question for owners moving up, or ones that moved up (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/11280-question-owners-moving-up-ones-moved-up.html)

32fever 01-29-2002 07:30 PM

Question for owners moving up, or ones that moved up

Just sparking another topic here...

You often see the prices jump on boat lengths. Each foot is another wad of bills. It seems the scale gets wider the longer you go. The gaps widen. For example, a 24' boat to a 27' boat is not as big of a difference as a 32' boat to a 35' boat generally speaking.

HAs anyone moved up, from say a 32' boat to a 38' boat and thought that maybe it wasn't worth the value of the extra money spent? Or say a 24' boat to a 32' boat? Anything maybe 6' or more in length increase?

We always want bigger and faster, but just curious if anyone had any thoughts on maybe it's not always best.

I'm finally getting used to the increase from what my previous boat was worth at selling to this boat. Is it worth the extra $$? So far, I'm happy, but taking another jump, well, would I feel it's really worth it to do so?

mark

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: 32fever ]

MnFastBoat 01-29-2002 07:43 PM

I am having what is coming known as foot itus :)
i am looking for bigger and faster just like everyone else.
I have a 28 cat with twin 502's
I am looking at either a 32 advantage or moving over to a larger cat of another make
:( I am going to hear about that from friends :(
i looked at the 30' eliminator at the chicago show last week.
this boat did have larger motors then mine and only 2 feet more. Other then that the only 2 main differences were the 1/4 canopies and the fact it was a different manufacture then mine. but it was almost 2 times MORE then what i spent on mine. :( :mad:
the only way I can see myself spending 200 grand on a boat is that it will be a more equipped then either of these 2 cats

cigarette1 01-29-2002 07:55 PM

I went from a 1993 24'(27 Fountain :D ) to 1992 35' Cig.

My purchase price jumped 225% for 11' ... I'd say it was was worth it. It's a totally different experience and it feels like twice the boat.

I once (in theory) steped up from a 24' Donzi Blackwidow to a 24'(27 Fountain :D ). In that move my purchase price jumped 160% and that, I feel was not worth it.

I was considering a step up to 38', as in Top Gun, but at the position I'm in with the 35', the diference in purchase price would not be worth it to me.

G

Kentz 01-29-2002 08:04 PM

Went from a 23 -26 wasn't worth the $$. From a 26 to 34. A qauntum leap, paid over two times as much, but actually I feel like I got twice the boat.
I hear guys say, "I'm going to step up from my 29 fever to a 32", say what? I say if your gunna go, bigger is better!
:D

Dock Holiday 01-29-2002 08:18 PM

I am sitting here trying to decide what to do right now. I know how you feel. The dealer called me at 4:00 today to tell me that he has a buyer for my boat at two thousand less than I was asking and the bank approved my loan request for a new 36 Outlaw with one exception, they want 15% down instead of 10%. I can do it, but it will be tight and I have cold feet all of a sudden? The wife wants the boat and lets me make all these decisions, but she really wants it.

The 36 is LOADED with everything including 500 EFI's but is almost three times what I owe on the 272. That is a big decision to make. One of those you have to live with for a while.

We bought a new 21 Baja in 1999, and went to a 272 a year later. It was twice the price of the 21, but three times the boat. We have really enjoyed it. Now for 9 feet it is three times as much? I think these boat manufacturers are like drug dealers. They build the small ones to get you hooked and then GET YA on the big ones.

I think it is worth it. Hell we only live once. There is an old saying that no one has ever complained about having Too much boat.

Wish me luck, I left the dealer on the hook till tomorrow. Better make the wife happy!

MnFastBoat 01-29-2002 08:25 PM

well now that i think about it
I owned a jetski when I bought the cat
last boat owned prior to that was a 19' jet boat
the cat was 10 times more then the jet boat
and 20 times more then the ski :(

Kentz 01-29-2002 08:28 PM

Baja Boss - the 36 is sweet ;) with 500's, go for it. O'yeah got a Dually? :D

PhantomChaos 01-29-2002 08:37 PM

16' Hobbie Cat $5K
31' Formula $110K
38' Formula (more than 2x the 31 footer)

It's called "new math".

:D :D :D :D :D :D

G-Force 01-29-2002 08:49 PM

Went from a 22' Larson Senza to a 32' Pachagna...best money I ever spent. Haven't regretted my decision yet. Hoping to bump up to the 35'+ group in the near future... ;)

Cain Crew 01-29-2002 09:00 PM

It's not that life is so short..it's just that your dead for so long!

B O A T = Bring Over Another Thousand that's a common statement around my marina

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Cain Crew ]

Madcow 01-29-2002 09:22 PM

It took me a long time to get out of my 30 Scarab cause I just couldn't find a boat worth the move. Till I found a nice 42 Sonic. Well worth the move.

Shorgasm 01-29-2002 09:26 PM

Oh 32fever...what the hell do you now about the 30+ boats....

Hell you only got a 29 footer.... :p :p :p

Marv 01-29-2002 10:56 PM

Went from a 24' (27 Fever) to a 30' (35 Lightning). The move from small single to small twin was definitely worth it. Did it with a 30% increase in cost (Shopped hard).

NICKSLICK 01-29-2002 11:04 PM

Now here is a subject I know something about.

18 ft century try hull > :eek: :mad:
$5k

23 ft DONZI single 350 > :rolleyes:
$12k

30 ft SCARAB 2x502 > :eek: :D
$25k

It doubled in size each time!!!

The SCAR has the power and WEIGHT to crush waves like the scum that they are... and the dual engines to get me home after I break...

:mad: :mad: :D

Blueman 01-29-2002 11:39 PM

I bet you can get the dealer to eat the two thousand and with a little creative financing get away with almost the 10% down. Just my 02 :D

Tinkerer 01-29-2002 11:53 PM

Went from 25 checkmate 251 to a 34 scarab that is 36 ft long. WOW what a difference (26,000 to 80,000) I don't buy new that way I can buy more boat for the money. I buy 2 years old. You WILL be happy with the bigger boat. Just remember that you have to be able to afford more than just the monthly payment.

32fever 01-30-2002 12:08 AM

Originally posted by shorgasm:
<STRONG>Oh 32fever...what the hell do you now about the 30+ boats....

Hell you only got a 29 footer.... :p :p :p</STRONG>
Hey, but at least my beak "is real" :eek:

Intolerant1 01-30-2002 12:33 AM

A friend is currently thinking of moving down from his Baja 38 Special to somthing in the 30' range because the 38 is just a pain in the ass for the type of boating he does.

NICKSLICK 01-30-2002 01:13 AM

He must not live on the ocean...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Black Thunder Boat 01-30-2002 08:21 AM

Well I made the jump from a 27 Baja to a 43ft Black Thunder with Blower Motors. That was a big jump in $$$$. I have no regrets! I love the big boat and the big power!

Audiofn 01-30-2002 08:28 AM

I went from a 15ft Hydrostream with a 150XS race motor on it ran in the high 70's low 80's, one guy could pick it up on the trailer almost, to a 30ft Formula with twin 330hp 454's. Twice as much boat..... NOT. I like them both actually. You can not beat the hydrostream for sitting down in and hitting the throttles and just going SO FAST!!!! However the Formula for the ride makes is all worth while.

Jon

Jana 01-30-2002 08:30 AM

I went up 13 feet (11 to some of you ;) ) from a Donzi 16 to a 29 Fountain. Cost-wise, I went from new at $24,500 to used, fresh water at $55,000 (including a matched trailer). I feel I have the right boat for where I'm at right now and that the price was reasonable. The jump in cost to buy new would have been totally unreasonable (especially if I got stuck with one of those new windscreens).

DONZIMAN2 01-30-2002 08:40 AM

Went from a Donzi 22ZX to a 26ZX. Price was about double. My first ride in the Bay I realized I had made the right decision. I could not believe how much difference there was in the boats. Critical options I have come to love are K-planes vice tabs, Electric Bolsters, and FULL not half Hyd Steering. Oh and a Subwoofer on the stereo. I am now trying to go to the 33. If there is as much Difference in this step as my previous experience I will be satisfied to pay the additional cost. Good Thread.

Preferredstock 01-30-2002 09:25 AM

I went from a 272 Formula to a 357 Formula. What a difference in ride. Twice the money and three times the ride. But had to buy a dually to pull the 357.

Wild Horses 01-30-2002 09:48 AM

Went from a 23' Mirage with a 330hp to a 33' Formula with twin 420hp's. Other than tuneups and FUEL... not much of a change in costs so far. Well, I needed a new truck to pull it. ;)
All in all .... very happy with the decision. Much more solid and the room is great.

MIdnightRider 01-30-2002 10:04 AM

My opinion is that boats are fairly difficult items to buy and sell. Not to far from houses, a decision not to taken lightly. If you are going to move, move up. My best friend went from a 23 powerquest to a 42 Lightining 2 years ago, and late last year, I did the same from a 250 Baja to 42 Lightning. Most nuts like us will end there eventually, why not save a few steps of depreciation and negative equity.

burtandnancy 01-30-2002 01:47 PM

We've all had twofootitus. My latest blunder was not getting 4 footitus and now I'm thinking of making another jump. I'm thinking of skipping 38 altogether and going 41. Friends suggest the advantages of going from gas to oil burners here. More $$$, but since I'm in all new territory, why not give it a try. Spring is coming...

dyno 01-30-2002 02:13 PM

well I'll give you my .02....I went from a 25 checkmate to a 31 sonic,I sold the checkmate for half of what I payed for the sonic and the sonic was 1 year older. The move is well worth the money to me!Better ride, more room, another motor and A.C. I think if you play your cards right you can do OK in the used boat market if you buy new and you go to make the move your going to pay dearly...A friend gave me some advice when I went to buy the Checkmate buy as much boat as you can afford...rarely do you hear of people that make the move to a smaller boat... so go big or go home!!!!my .02

MIdnightRider 01-30-2002 02:27 PM

Yeah Dyno, " go big or go home". Never heard anyone complain about buying to big of a boat.

Cattitude 01-30-2002 02:33 PM

a lot of it depends on the waters you frequent and how you use the boat. If oceans, great lakes or LOTO are your hangouts or you like to overnight a lot there is a lot of Value in moving up whether it be ride, room or piece of mind from twins.

If you run smaller inland waters and like speed and hanging out in the cockpit and use your cabin strictly for storage and nooners you may regret stepping up. More $ Hp and engines to go the same speed (allthough some 30'ish cats will be faster with same power) more $ for maintenance, bigger towrig, higher slip fees, storage cost, fuel costs, insurance, taxes and oh yeah, the boat costs more too.

The human tendancy is to justify whatever decision we made in life so what we recommend does tend to be a little biased.

With that said... My 25' Daytona is too small at LOTO but on the other places I boat I'm in front of the 32's, 35's etc going from A to B, have equal cabin comfort, may even ride better in some conditions, and my boat cost 1/2 of theirs- bigger is not always better- it depends on what's important to you.

Do keep in mind "True length" when shopping, many makers are giving you less boat than the "honest" ones by including 2' of swim platform and beaks in their measurement- no slamming, just important to know when comparing apples to apples. Good luck!

Oh yea- I guess I went up from my 21' tige inboard but I actually kept the tige. It's great for local lounging and watersports etc but makes for a slow and rough riding cruiser and I have to boat surf when the chop gets much over a foot. (You could stuff this thing in a rowboat wake if you're not careful)I guess in this case it made more sense to have a boat for each aspect of boating because a single boat would be too much compromise to do either very well.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Cattitude ]

MnFastBoat 01-30-2002 02:41 PM

In total aggreement with Cattitude
it is all in what YOU do on the majority of runs
Hell even my cat is to small for loto on a busy weekend.
But I bet it will run like hell during the week. I know it ran great in hte early am that I let Waterfoul drive. :eek:

Dean Ferry 01-30-2002 03:43 PM

32Fever,
I too have the same dilemma, I have a 26' Boat with 2' of swim platform, and I want to move up to something as fast or faster, 2x ?? power, that has a full enclosed head and all the amenities to keep the boss happy, and that is roughly in the 35'+ range, but the $$ are almost 2-3 times what I paid for my present boat!? I guess I just keep looking, and buying lotto tickets! :D
MD

Neverfastenuf 01-30-2002 04:03 PM

I went from a 28 Eliminator Eagle to a 30 Eagle. There was a huge difference in the boats. The 30 has so much more freeboard and the difference in the ride is amazing. Not knocking the 28, the 30 is just a big step up, even though it was only 2 feet(a little contradicting???). I am sure that each manufacturer is different and a person would have to really do some comparative testing to evaluate whether or not the step up is worth it. BTW, my boating is done at Lake Powell so big water opinions would have to come from the other members who "live " in the big stuff!!! :D

Shorgasm 01-30-2002 05:56 PM

Originally posted by 32fever:
<STRONG>

Hey, but at least my beak "is real" :eek:</STRONG>
You mockin the new additions....... :mad: :rolleyes: