Notices

Question for owners moving up, or ones that moved up

Old 01-29-2002, 07:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Question for owners moving up, or ones that moved up

Just sparking another topic here...

You often see the prices jump on boat lengths. Each foot is another wad of bills. It seems the scale gets wider the longer you go. The gaps widen. For example, a 24' boat to a 27' boat is not as big of a difference as a 32' boat to a 35' boat generally speaking.

HAs anyone moved up, from say a 32' boat to a 38' boat and thought that maybe it wasn't worth the value of the extra money spent? Or say a 24' boat to a 32' boat? Anything maybe 6' or more in length increase?

We always want bigger and faster, but just curious if anyone had any thoughts on maybe it's not always best.

I'm finally getting used to the increase from what my previous boat was worth at selling to this boat. Is it worth the extra $$? So far, I'm happy, but taking another jump, well, would I feel it's really worth it to do so?

mark

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: 32fever ]
Old 01-29-2002, 07:43 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am having what is coming known as foot itus
i am looking for bigger and faster just like everyone else.
I have a 28 cat with twin 502's
I am looking at either a 32 advantage or moving over to a larger cat of another make
I am going to hear about that from friends
i looked at the 30' eliminator at the chicago show last week.
this boat did have larger motors then mine and only 2 feet more. Other then that the only 2 main differences were the 1/4 canopies and the fact it was a different manufacture then mine. but it was almost 2 times MORE then what i spent on mine.
the only way I can see myself spending 200 grand on a boat is that it will be a more equipped then either of these 2 cats
Old 01-29-2002, 07:55 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

I went from a 1993 24'(27 Fountain ) to 1992 35' Cig.

My purchase price jumped 225% for 11' ... I'd say it was was worth it. It's a totally different experience and it feels like twice the boat.

I once (in theory) steped up from a 24' Donzi Blackwidow to a 24'(27 Fountain ). In that move my purchase price jumped 160% and that, I feel was not worth it.

I was considering a step up to 38', as in Top Gun, but at the position I'm in with the 35', the diference in purchase price would not be worth it to me.

G
Old 01-29-2002, 08:04 PM
Kentz

Went from a 23 -26 wasn't worth the $$. From a 26 to 34. A qauntum leap, paid over two times as much, but actually I feel like I got twice the boat.
I hear guys say, "I'm going to step up from my 29 fever to a 32", say what? I say if your gunna go, bigger is better!

Old 01-29-2002, 08:18 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sitting here trying to decide what to do right now. I know how you feel. The dealer called me at 4:00 today to tell me that he has a buyer for my boat at two thousand less than I was asking and the bank approved my loan request for a new 36 Outlaw with one exception, they want 15% down instead of 10%. I can do it, but it will be tight and I have cold feet all of a sudden? The wife wants the boat and lets me make all these decisions, but she really wants it.

The 36 is LOADED with everything including 500 EFI's but is almost three times what I owe on the 272. That is a big decision to make. One of those you have to live with for a while.

We bought a new 21 Baja in 1999, and went to a 272 a year later. It was twice the price of the 21, but three times the boat. We have really enjoyed it. Now for 9 feet it is three times as much? I think these boat manufacturers are like drug dealers. They build the small ones to get you hooked and then GET YA on the big ones.

I think it is worth it. Hell we only live once. There is an old saying that no one has ever complained about having Too much boat.

Wish me luck, I left the dealer on the hook till tomorrow. Better make the wife happy!
Old 01-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well now that i think about it
I owned a jetski when I bought the cat
last boat owned prior to that was a 19' jet boat
the cat was 10 times more then the jet boat
and 20 times more then the ski
Old 01-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Kentz

Baja Boss - the 36 is sweet with 500's, go for it. O'yeah got a Dually?

Old 01-29-2002, 08:37 PM
Registered

16' Hobbie Cat $5K
31' Formula $110K
38' Formula (more than 2x the 31 footer)

It's called "new math".

Old 01-29-2002, 08:49 PM
Registered

Went from a 22' Larson Senza to a 32' Pachagna...best money I ever spent. Haven't regretted my decision yet. Hoping to bump up to the 35'+ group in the near future...
Old 01-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Cain Crew

It's not that life is so short..it's just that your dead for so long!

B O A T = Bring Over Another Thousand that's a common statement around my marina

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Cain Crew ]

Quick Reply: Question for owners moving up, or ones that moved up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.