Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Stereo Question???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113466-boat-stereo-question.html)

Wardey 09-30-2005 02:50 PM

Boat Stereo Question????

I have (2) amps to power my Clarion Head unit. (1) Clarion APX480 to drive (2) 6.5" Speakers and (2) 6x9" Speakers. I have (1) Clarion APX280 that drives a 10" sub. I have a #8 wire direct from the battery supplying the power to both amps and the dash power. At high volume levels the amps cut out so I am installing a dedicated #8 wire just for the amps. Question: Is (1) 40 amp dedicated #8 ckt. enough for both amps? Thanks, Dave

kmiller 09-30-2005 03:00 PM

Re: Boat Stereo Question????

How long is the power wire? Also what size fuses in the amps?

DBELL6 09-30-2005 03:26 PM

Had the same problem in my Father In Laws boat. Go to Best Buy and or you local Car Audio store and buy a Capacitor.

This should fix everything.

kmiller 09-30-2005 03:36 PM

Thats more of a band-aid for that type of problem... Needs larger wire....

BAJA WILL 09-30-2005 03:38 PM

Bigger wire and Ground to the battery, :drink:

Wardey 09-30-2005 05:07 PM

Yep, Ran a #8 dedicated ckt. straight to the batery switch and it's fixed !!! Are most of the stereo guru's running a #8 ckt. to each amp or are they sharing the ckt. with multi amps? Thanks, Dave

Wally 10-01-2005 12:09 AM

Actually....depending on the length of the run...i'd probably run a 4ga wire from the batt to a distribution block then the 8ga to the amps....

Audiofn 10-01-2005 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wardey
Yep, Ran a #8 dedicated ckt. straight to the batery switch and it's fixed !!! Are most of the stereo guru's running a #8 ckt. to each amp or are they sharing the ckt. with multi amps? Thanks, Dave

Like wally said it depends on the run. Most my my installs were with 4ga wire. In my own boat it is going to be 0ga wire. You get a LOT of voltage drop on boats over the long runs. Plus unlike in cars ussually you are only giving the amp 12 volts instead of 14 to work with. That is why IMO regulated power supply amps are ussually better then non in Marine aplications.

Jon

mwdill 10-01-2005 09:51 AM

thats what i did , ran 4ga to the block then 8 ga to the amps no probs, than ran independent grounds from each.

JPD Motorsports 10-01-2005 01:12 PM

4 gauge from batteries to distribution blocks fuse at battery within 10-12" from battery post use a fused dstribution block for the positive side of cables to amps 8 gauge out from the blocks to amps. it sounds like the amps were clipping at the higer volume from loss of voltage(short terms) also check the batteries for enough juice to power everything up.