For the love of God, do not buy a BMW >

For the love of God, do not buy a BMW

Notices

For the love of God, do not buy a BMW

Old 01-15-2002, 06:50 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had 2 Beemers, '92 325 & '98 323. Not so much as a sqweek from either. Best cars built I've ever owned. Oil change cost was never an issue, part of the warranty program now. No cost! I was also surprised that the on board computer didn't call for the 1st oil change until approx. 10k miles. I asked to see the old oil, looked as clear and clean as the new oil they dumped back in. Next car is going to be another BMW.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 BMW 740il, Best car that I have ever owned hands down!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 07:23 PM
Registered

Just like any other manufacturer, some off the line just have problems. I used to have a 1988 635csi (that's when a BMW looked liek a BMW), and I had some problems, nothing too major. Hell, the damn thing was up on the service rack when the Northridge earth quake happened, and it fell off and onto the nose of the car. Only cosmetic stuff got damaged.

Now, I prefer the Mercedes line. Just seems better for me now. The BMW is more of a "drivers" car, but you get the same thing in Mercedes, but more luxurious (I think). I would never buy either of these new, only lease. Too many bells and whistles these days to go wrong. Rent them for 4 years, and takem em back and get a new one.

Old 01-15-2002, 08:19 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

I have a 98 323 45,000 mi love the way the car drives. I will let it go for $ 19,900

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 01-15-2002, 09:10 PM
jbusseym3

I had a 88 m3 with 150,000 miles on it only problem was finding the tool to adjust the vavles. Dealer wanted 700.00. best car i ever owned. I think BMW has lost it quality after 94.

Old 01-15-2002, 09:32 PM
rwilson

Fountain27:

Let me get this right... you buy a 5 year old USED car, and start complaining about wear and tear items going south on you?

Why do you think it was traded? How long do you thing the conv. top motors are supposed to last? Did you think a premium brand auto was going to cost $14.95 for an oil change?

Get real... You paid a premium for your car, as you did with your boat... yet you bash the brand because you bought a used car? Re-title the post to "Used Cars", ignoring the brand and you'll make more sense?

Old 01-15-2002, 10:10 PM
Registered

catmando--the new service intervals are approx. 15k--how that is determined is a set amount of fuel burnt/times started/how hard car is driven when not at operating temp.-the service indicator will count down slower for example-if you start the car 1 time and go 100 miles to work and back-if you start the car 20 times and go the hundred miles it will count down faster-as everybody has different driving habits the intervals vary--there is no longer a 10k service-15k service-ect.--if you were to drive the car real hard the service would be sooner-baby it, it would be closer to 15k--as far as the oil going that far safely--bmw does not have cold start valves anymore-also the computer controls the fuel/air mixture to keep it as lean as possible on start-ups (as you know thats how oil gets contaminated by washing down the cylinders with a rich mixture to help w/cold starting)-the cars do use synthetic-and we are asked to send back oil samples to the manufacturer to test it--we have cars out there with 160k--no oil related problems as of yet--john
Old 01-15-2002, 11:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Jaguars baby, wifes 94xj12, mine 91xjs, sons 88vdp. I do all main. on all of them. Only had one warranty claim, XJ12, and only cuz my time was up and I wanted to claim something. The input bearing seal was wet, (not leaking just wet), they gave me rental car from agency and put in NEW rearend complete and gave me another year on that work. I drive my XJS ave. of 150mi/day, mon-fri, 18mpg day-i day-out, love it. Wish mine was as fast as my wifes though, and she knows it. Sons 88 is a 6cyl and he only drives to work and school, his only problem is keeping fuel in the tank. It's an addiction and I could'nt drive anything less anymore. Can't wait till they make a 4 door dually.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rwilson,

I am complaining, paid a premium for the 1992 Vette, nothing ever gone bad on it or the Lexus. I suppose I hold BMW to a higher standard than a typical Daewoo.... Car cost more so should be built with more quality parts and care right.... just as boats, I would expect a Cigarette to hold up better than a Bayliner.

All I am stating is my experience with this car, and I didn't even list the small stuff wipers sticking, washer tubes replace, rear emblem falling off, ext temp gauge not working.... I understand that a car with some use and age will develope problems I just feel this car has more than its share. I am glad to hear I am the minority.

Thats all
Old 01-16-2002, 11:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW makes some of the best cars on the road.. period!Sounds like you need to cut your losses on that car and buy something else.Do yourself a favor and get a late model 740,you never want to drive anything else again! Except maybe a M5 or 540 sport

Quick Reply: For the love of God, do not buy a BMW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.