Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   scam? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113545-scam.html)

traviss 10-02-2005 01:01 PM

scam?

Ofcourse my boat has been for sale and I get this email a few days ago. What do you people think. i don't trust anyone.

The email

Hello,
I saw your advert online and i would like to buy your (1989 Powerplay 185 XLT)i will need an adequate information about it including your best price for it,try to get back tome as soon as you could so that we may proceed.
Best Regards

My email back...

Hi bud.. I stil have it.. Its sitting out in the shop all covered up. its a very nice boat.. Where are you located? Right now I am thing about $12,500 I need for it.. Let me know what you think and if you want to get a look at it.

another email I sent to the person

You can also catch me on my cell. (phone #). I have my phone on me all the time.. If you are local and would like to look at it tommorrow ( sunday) let me know/.. any questions give me a call.

What I get back today from the person

Hello,
Your offer is ok with me,I'm very glad to hear from you and i want you to know that i will be buying your 1989 Powerplay 185 XLT for real and i dont see anything wrong that will make me not to buy your 1989 Powerplay 185 XLT. Am not in the state as at now i'm in an exhibition but the payment will come from my client which he will issue you a certified USA check for the payment.
More over,my shipper will come for the pick up of the 1989 Powerplay 185 XLT from your location after you must havereceived the payment.Let me know if this is ok with you so that i can contact my client to issue the payment out to you asap.It a pleasure doing businesss with you.
Regards.

No Phone #'s from the person, No name or anything... Something stinks and I don't like it...

opinions?

Sean H 10-02-2005 01:03 PM

Re: scam?

email says 12,300 and your sig says 12,500 for OSO'er... some OSO discount.... :eek: :D

oh yeah, its a scam.....

Sean H 10-02-2005 01:03 PM

and then you changed it..... :D

traviss 10-02-2005 01:06 PM

I have all different prices :D :D depends what mood I am in and If it like the person or not.. :evilb:

New oso price ;)

wananewboat 10-02-2005 01:20 PM

Don't give them any account info for a wire transfer. I got the same $hit when my boat was on boattrader and they even said not to go with it.

WildSafaris 10-02-2005 01:23 PM

Sorry... but yes that is a well known scam. they will send you a fake Bank Check..which will look so real that it may take your bank 10 or 15 days to find this check is fake.

Then when the bank finds out the check is bad it will bounce and if you removed the 12k from the bank..the bank will want it back, and you will be on the hook for the money.

It is really a huge scam run from out of the country and they use people who want to "work from home" as their little operatives.

Schweeng 10-02-2005 01:25 PM

I was selling our car a few months back and received almost the same emails...same style. I too thought it was a scam so I demanded some crazy payment terms.

"The buyer" agreed to payment stipulations at first ...then weeks pasted with no payment showing up. With each week I would receieve an email explaining the delays (buyer out of town, buyer in hospital). The emails try to create this feeling that the sale is happening just not at the speed you want.

Then the scam showed its face. I was told in an email that the "shipper" or "shippers agents" had to reserve a spot for transportation. I was then asked to send 5 or 6K to this agent to reserve the spot while the buyer was working on getting me the funds.

So my last email was...."so you want me to send money to a shipper without me getting my funds? Let me think about this"

I have never heard from the "buyer" or "buyers agent" since.

I hope this helps.

packinair 10-02-2005 01:29 PM

scam

DirtyMoney 10-02-2005 01:31 PM

They will usually try to send a fake certified check for more money and ask you to send the remainder to a shipping agent of theirs and will run off with the remainder before the bank realizes the check is false.

Do a search there was a guy on here a couple years ago that sold some props and got scammed like this.

JCPERF 10-02-2005 03:51 PM

Cash is king