Notices

Car odometer question

Old 10-02-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car odometer question

were sitting around and having a discussion about changing odometer readings on leased cars.....

My friend has just leased a Volvo 2005 XC90....he leased the car and had an odometer "by-pass" installed...a switch that turns off the reading to the dash board by breaking the circut.
The by-pass wiring is removed when the car is turned in at the end of the lease.

I have the opinion that the car company can detect this by pass some way and he's going to jail...the auto Co's have this scam figured out already.

SO......what do you think or know about this.

Otto
Old 10-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: Car odometer question

It can still be read on the cars computer. I don't know about jail but he can expect to buy the car for full price and probably own it forever since carfax will report odometer fraud. Probably not jail but a misdomenor and a fine. (just my .02)
Old 10-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

most if not all late model cars have on board computers...i know for a fact Dodge has since the mid 90's. Odometer showed one thing and when car went to dealer for service had a slight problem
Old 10-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a crime
Old 10-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rastaboatin
It can still be read on the cars computer. I don't know about jail but he can expect to buy the car for full price and probably own it forever since carfax will report odometer fraud. Probably not jail but a misdomenor and a fine. (just my .02)

Your $.02 is worth more than that.......you are right newer cars have a computer that keeps track of the milage as well as the odometer. It is almost impossible to get by it....now that is my $10,000.00 worth....just enough to pay the charges ....
Old 10-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The computer will log data on the mileage and will show correct, depending on the networking in the vehicle it may actually update the dash as soon as the vehicle restarts.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a friend that had a bmw she disconnected the speedo thinking she is going to save a bunch of miles.......3 years later she reconnected the speedo--- and walaa the true miles showed back up 3 year with no speedo
Old 10-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Registered

I think it is a FELONY isn't it?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Took our BMW to the dealer last week. The service guy took our ignition key and placed it in some gizmo on his desk hooked to his PC. I thought is was a fancy key holder. The mileage and history all stored right in the key.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

The only way to "cheat" the computer on most new cars/trucks is to alter the vss or transmission output signal information that the computer sees. The problem with that is it will throw abs codes and screw up the transmission shift points/line pressure risking damage to the transmission.These vehicles also have hour meters built in the computer,at least the pick up trucks.In the 90's alot of scumbags were defeating the speedos on leased gm trucks by unplugging the odometer motor plug but GM caught on to that.I had more than one customer bring me a mid 90's chevy with a wore out drivetrain that was a former lease truck showing fairly low miles.I accidently figured out how to defeat the speedo where nothing would register anywhere else on the 02 and older dodge trucks while doing troubleshooting on them but I would never help or tell anyone how to do it as it is a FELONY and just plain wrong,Smitty

Quick Reply: Car odometer question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.